vintage license size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage license size

I am hoping someone can tell me the hole spacing across the width of a 20s and earlier license plate. I'm asking because I have an old tail light assembly that is missing the license plate bar. I measured a contemporary license plate, and I come up with 5.75" between holes. Were early license plates smaller, or more narrow?

I know zero about vintage motorcycle license plates, so thanks for any insight.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Pa from 14-27 had 4 holes at 12-3-6-9 o clock after that 2 holes on top 4" on center. A 15 Mass has 2 slots on the top and 2 on bot. 5" on center, plus the 12-3-6-9 o clock holes. I think that you will find the original plates all over the map in hole spacing and size. I have seen Pa. plates with less #s that we're shorter than a plate of the same year with more #s .A early Pa. is about 4 1/2 x 8, the Mass plate is 3 1/2 x 7.
    Jim D.
    Last edited by jim d; 01-25-2015, 01:49 PM.
    Jim D

Comment

That is very good information Jim, and thank you. I guess it was up to the licensee to figure out how to attach their plate. I'll bet bailing wire was an indispensable tool for mounting a plate. Thanks again, that will help me out.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,
        Virtually every state had different dimensions, some are even oriented differently. And many vintage plates have extra, owner drilled holes in them to fit different types of brackets. Each manufacturer had their own mounting ideas as well. No uniformity among brands.
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Good to know Robbie. Again, it must have been a challenge to display a license plate back in the old days.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

It is interesting that Harley sold a license plate trim piece that was adjustable to fit all the different State plate sizes. One-size-fits-all.
            Lonnie Campbell #9908
            South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
            X