No announcement yet.

New Judging reference handbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Saturday afternoon is a good time for judging. That way judges who are selling have made all their sales for the day. Then you have Sunday to travel home.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Red Fred, Maybe you can clarify something for the members. I was just reading my Winter 2010 magazine and on page 80 paragraph 6 it says that they approved a $1000 per month budget for the president to use at his discretion for club buisness. Is this "Emergency" fund over and above the already approved $1000 per month making it a total of $24,000 per anum to utilize without BOD approval??
      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

HI D. A.
        NO, this is the same amount, and same fund. I was the one who called it an emergency fund for lack of a better explaination. I doesn't accumalate either, so if he doesn't have reason to tap into it in March or April, it doesn't result into a $3000 kitty for May! I don't foresee too many reasons for it to get utilized, as we seem to be on an even keel now, and most all of our bills are predictable.
        Hope this helps, RF.

Comment

Thanks Fred for the clarification. Wouldn't want anyone to be confused. I'm sure everyone here appreciates you being the spokesperson as it is a difficult position to be in. Any political position in any club is a difficult one and I'm sure everyone here hopes when the dust settles it results in a positive way for the members and club alike.
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I want to add another train of thought to the discussion. When Steve is told to fly to the meets, then where does that leave Sandee? Why you ask? Because behind every great leader there is a women there to support him. Even in the history of our club we have
            Del and WANDA Schumacher
            Steve and SANDEE Dawdy
            Dick and WANDA Winger
            Bob and NORMA McClean
            Kevin and SUE Valentine
            Peter and TENA Reeves
            Jerry and TRUDY Richards
            Jack and KELLI Stauffer
            Paul and MARY Shedd
            Those are the ones that come to mind instantly for me. These guys come to meets and the women who support them are usually by their side helping them in what they do. In Trudy's case it may be the opposite but Jerry is there with her. I do need to include my husband and myself in there. David and BRENDA Lash. We joined this club as a team. This hobby is our passion and what we choose to do with our very limited and precious spare time. I would be upset if my husband were asked, since he is a National Deputy Judge to go to a meet and leave me at home. That is not what we joined this club for. This club was suppose to be a family oriented club. I go to meets and see many more couples that do this as a couple thing, thats what we do. If we volunteer to do things we do them as a team. Almost every meet I go to the Deputy Judge and his wife work as a team to make the judging process successful. I also want to drive to meets or if the weather permits ride my motorcycle to the meet rather than fly, but I want my husband beside me. Anyway that is one point.
            Second for those that do not know I do all the pre registration for the judging. There is a lot of work that is done in the background then most people don't see. The judging doesn't start on Sat or Sun morning. There is all the prep work that has to go into it also. The judging sheets just don't make themselves. Someone has to input that information into the database. If the person who registers the bike mis types and puts in one number wrong it takes time to figure out what level the bike is, when it was judged before, if it was judged before, was it judged as original or restore ect. Kevin did an excellent job of putting this into a database software that makes the information easier to get to but it is only as good as the information that is put into it. It was suggested that this be put into an excel file, there are over 8000 records in the database, how would you like to search thru that? Not fun. There is also adding up the scores and sorting the forms to get ready to give out the trophies. If Steve had to do all this by himself it sure would take along time to get those trophies out and it might be Monday morning before people get out of there. Then putting all the information into the computer and getting the plaques inscribed to send to the winners. This is all added to the time spent at the meet.
            In closing Kevin and Steve are both great guys and friends of mine. Kevin didn't just quit the judging. He was there in the background keeping it going. He was the one who taught me the database and how to keep the pre registration going even though he wasn't in charge anymore he never once refused to help or answer any question I asked, because I did not know the software he guided me through it. So is Kevin devoted to the Judging program? Hec yeah! He did not have to do anything to help out but he did because he is a man of integrity. Was he hurt by the actions last year? Yes but he still gave his dedication to his passion.
            Steve has the same passion. He didn't ask for the job, he was asked to take the job. He gave it his all through a pretty tough year and Sandee was there by his side learning everything too.
            I know I have not mentioned Robin, but I do not know him as well as the others and did not have the opportunity to talk with him much. The few times that I did see him guess who was with him? Yep his wife.
            Those are some of my thoughts
            Brenda Lash AMCA member and Judging Registar

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris Haynes;107911]I think Saturday afternoon is a good time for judging. That way judges who are selling have made all their sales for the day. Then you have Sunday to travel home.[/QUOTE

Chris, I totally agree with you. I've been running the Chesapeake Chapter Meet vending since it was a chapter meet in 1993. By Saturday night, the field was basically a ghost town. In the old days when we had bike judging on Sunday's, there were hardly over 15 machines present. When we decided to make it an official two day meet with judging on Sat p.m., the numbers dramatically increased to the 50s. Many people told me they would not have bothered to come if judging was Sunday.

Also, I've attended all the national meets recently with the exception of Omaha and Viking. In all cases, including Davenport, sales are essentially over by noon Sat, leaving ample time for judging without conflicting with sales. Knowing that some meets are up and running Thursday, I would make my plans to be there early if I needed to find scarce parts. Obviously, I'm not speaking for everybody but I never bought the arguement about not being to get there until Sat. We are an older club and most people, perhaps those not self-employed, have a reasonable amount of vaction time. I always found it easier to get a couple days off at the end of the week from my bosses rather than Mondays when the weekend fires that erupted needed to be put out. I always wanted Sunday to be my travel/rest day.

Steve Ciccalone

Comment

Advocating for Saturday judging for all meets was on my top priority list as chief judge, and remains there as we move forward.

Steve
                Steve Dawdy

Comment

Saturday judging would be great but think about this, you have a road run, field events, seminars, a banquet, and other events on Saturdays. When would you do the judging? My opinion is it's just to much for one day.
                  Louie
                  FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                  Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                  YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I know at Rhinebeck we had around 100 bikes judged in 09 and this was on a Sunday. We have an awful lot going on Saturday also so it is better for Sunday there.

Comment

The Dixon meet has already switched to Saturday judging a couple years ago.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                        I know at Rhinebeck we had around 100 bikes judged in 09 and this was on a Sunday. We have an awful lot going on Saturday also so it is better for Sunday there.
                        Don't know how many bikes were there to be judged at Rhinebeck on the Sunday morning in 2010 but not long after the scheduled 9 am judging start time (when we were folding up our tents and getting packed to leave) the public address system came on and they asked for volunteers to come and judge some British motorcycles which had been entered as they had no judges for this category. 20 minutes or so later the same announcement was made again, emphasizing that they needed British bike judges - particularly expert on Triumphs.

Between my buddy and I we have probably near 100 years of experience with British bikes (we each had placed a bike in the Timeline) but neither of us had had any previous connection with the AMCA Judging system and we were packed up by then for the 10 hour drive home. So we left for home as we both had things to do on the Monday.

I don't know how many British bikes had to be judged, the report on the meet in the Winter Antique Motorcycle listed only 2 Triumphs and a Norton.

Also wonder if Rhineback, because of its size, attracts a greater number of AMCA members from long distances.

AFJ

Comment

I think the numbers for 2010 were around 75 total but don't quote me on that. If you are coming this year maybe you would like to help judge?? We are going to TRY to get a demographic survey as to who and where people come from members and public. I have recieved calls from as far away as Washington St. from a man thats going to fly in with a suitcase full of small parts to vend and he was here last year.

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                            I think the numbers for 2010 were around 75 total but don't quote me on that. If you are coming this year maybe you would like to help judge?? We are going to TRY to get a demographic survey as to who and where people come from members and public. I have recieved calls from as far away as Washington St. from a man thats going to fly in with a suitcase full of small parts to vend and he was here last year.
                            PM sent.

AFJ

Comment

Working...
                            X