X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control

Originally posted by Robin-M View Post
    Eric,

It sounds good what you said, but if you read my earlier posts I will say it again, the control that Steve Slocombe has on the board and with RedFred and with Rocky and it's hard to say who else, doesn't seem to be able to be stopped by the board. You are really correct about the embarrasement. I've spent better than half my life trying to improve the judging system as historically correct as humanly possible. To have so much history being disgraced and erased from a handful of people that forcefully took charge to change the rules because they don't understand how to judge them and they don't feel they're part of motorcycling history. It's disheartening and embarrasing. As long as they're in charge, it will continue to be embarrasing and will discredit the AMCA.

Who are you going to believe and trust, someone that's devoted almost all thier life to motorcycling and understands all the different aspects of what we're dealing with here and how it will affect our club, the membership, motorcycles and motorcycling history OR those that haven't.

Please read the "Hostile Takeover" thread if you haven't already, it explains this in more detail.

The president and the board still have the option to correct this embarrasing situation before it destroys the club.

There's a lot more of our membership that feels the way you do Chris, thanks for stepping forward and sharing your knowledge and common sense.

Robin Markey
    I didn't mean to drag the entire quote in here, just the part where you mention control over the BOD, myself, and Rocky, by Steve Slocombe.
    I consider myself friends with each party mentioned here, and also the mentioner. (I hope they all still feel this way also?). Anyway, I don't see any control issues with Steve S over myself, or anyone else on the BOD, nor the Judging Committee. I find Steve S. to be very intelligent, out going, and all for the cause. He usually pays his own way to the meets, even when he is eligible for reimbursement. I find Steve S. to very active for our judging and for the Club in general.
    It sure seems like way too much personal sensitivity has infected this thread, and it hasn't accomplished anything. We've all had our ideas kicked around, and sometimes squashed while on the Judging Committee. I thought I had some valid ones, but they didn't get voted in. We moved on. We continue to move on. Sure, I don't agree with some of the dicissions that the Judging Committee, and/or the Board has passed, or failed, but I only have one vote, and we move on.
    Our current Board is as diverse as it has ever been in it's history. I see no trace of any favoritism, or control by anyone, over anyone else. I'm sure that Kevin would attest to this also. I can assure you that Steve S. nor anyone else has any control over me. Not on the Board, nor on the Judging Committee. I do admire and respect his enthusiasm to improve our Club, and it's Judging, just as I admire Robins, and everyone else involved.
    I just received my 30 year pin from the electricians union. 25 of those years were mostly spent running jobs, and crews. We would deal with every walk of life, personality, race, religion, etc....with the crews. Many times we didn't see eye-to-eye, or get along. But if that guy I didn't like was the best pipe bender, then I focused on the job to be done, not if I liked the guy. We had a building to build. I didn't have to like him, just get the job done. Usually, by the next job, after successfully completing the previous, everyone got along.
    We have some judging issues to iron out, and we can't be bothered by hurt feelings, and personalities.
    UN-Controled ! RF.

Comment

Fred,

Congratulations on your 30 year electricians pin. This is exactly what I've been talking about. But I have my 50+ yar pin from the AMA. While you were wiring houses, I've been working on motorcycles.

Fred, I thought I've made myself clear, this is not just personal. Rocky's and the board's decision on the new judging leaders is detrimental to the membership and the AMCA with their lack of qualifications and people skills and common sense.

Fred, maybe you're too close to the board and being a part of it, it's hard to see what's going on. Eventually the truth will come out. "The oxen are slow....but the earth is patient"

Robin

Comment

Hi Robin,
        Actually, the BOD had nothing to do with the appointment of Steve Dawdy as the Chief Judge. It was the Prez's perogative, and it's his pick. It was offered to a few of us there at the moment; Steve S. , myself, etc..... but we didn't accept. In the heat of the moment, it really appeared that Kevin quit the Chief Judge position when he got up and walked out in the middle of the meeting. It was actually agreed then & there, at the table, by all, when he stormed out. As you know, it was later finalized that late night. The BOD wasn't involved with the Prez's choice, although, they may be asked for comments, and/or opinions.
        Steve Dawdy fills some huge boots these days. He got involved in a swarming Hornets nest, none of his own making. He is in an awkward spot, and means well for the good of the club. The bottom line here is, the Good of the Club. The same good you have been fighting for your entire, dedicated career.
        I'm not here for a popularity pole, I'm here for the future enjoyment of my machines, which I feel well be soon threatened with the current World affairs. Therefore, I find myself in the middle of quite a few camps, all whom mean well.
        In essence, it is not one Judging Committee Member, nor BOD member that has prevailing influence here. Things are taking their course, and we need to all work together on it.
        BTW, the only houses we worked on, were those of the owners of huge, international businesses; mansions. Union work is usually commercial, or high rise buildings, not houses. Houses are a whole different ball game.
        Lets all meet up at a Road Run!!!!!!!!!!!! RF.

Comment

fred it is nice to have only one vote! we have none as you know.
          rob ronky #10507
          www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
            I just received my 30 year pin from the electricians union.
            Do ya know what I say to a man with 30 years on the job? It is a good start.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Yeah Chris, but I'm only half your age!
              : ) RF.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
                Yeah Chris, but I'm only half your age!
                : ) RF.
                Thats OK Fred.
                I will be collecting my Social Security while you are still paying into it for me. Keep on workin' Kid.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

bikes or people?

I like that the word "embarrassing" has been used as frequently as it has, here. Consider that old, rusty iron and metal things are far less embarrassing (in our eyes) than our people issues, how about that? I've had horses, dogs, and cattle humiliate me, in public, almost as badly as other people, but even a slow-to-start motorcycle is devoid of malice. The embarrassment here is for all of us collectively, as we look in the mirror and think of our predecessors and founders. No doubt they had issues too, but they didn't have the internet to air it out.
                  Years from now, we'll remember the changes and adjustments that evolved as being beneficial. If they were otherwise they'd be "changed" or "adjusted", we hope. What will hopefully settle out into oblivion will be the hot gossip, the dirty laundry and how dirty it was.
                  A helpful hint: air it out on the highway. You won't mind, and it won't matter.

Comment

Yes sir re ! Chris has been around quite a while. He invented the wheel ya know. Just razzin ya Chris.... Yes...there is a bit of heat getting exchanged on this here internet but what is wrong with that ? People are speaking their piece. Regardless of whether they find themselves agreeing on the issues makes no difference. They are pointing out what they believe to be correct, logical, or beneficial to the overall club. This is exactly where the majority must have a voice. The majotiy should make a choice from the choices provided. It is up to the choice providers to convince the majority that their policies are the route to take. Paps

Comment

To Fred the electrician, please pay attention. Robin has said several times on this thread that Rocky appoints the Chief Judge and Assistant Chief Judge. He also said Rocky could reverse his decision before this all turns into a bigger mess. Isn't it something how a few have said that we should all work together for the good of the club. Why didnt' the board, especially Sleve S and Rocky, WORK TOGETHER with Kevin and Robin, the two people that know the judging inside and out, for the good of the club? Here's the answer, because they were trying to take over the judging like Robin said in his Hostile Takeover thread on this forum. If not, they would have worked out the wrinkles and kept them in charge. Think about it, Kevin and Robin are supposed to work with this new group, but the board couldn't work with Kevin and Robin. Hmmmm

And someone mentioned our AMCA founding fathers, what do you think they'd feel with Rocky's decision of top judges and Rocky's behavior at Oley. I guarantee, if the founding fathers had a choice of top judges it wouldn't have been Rocky's choices, they would have picked someone with experience. And they wouldn't have been too proud of Rocky at Oley.

The message from Eustis was plain to see at Oley, a lot less bikes and hardly any judges. The message from Oley, will be interesting to see at Denton and Rhinebeck. If each meet's judging keeps getting worse, where will they be till Davenport?

And why would the two board members, Fred and Steve S, be condescending to Robin on this forum. They should be on their hands and knees begging him to come back.

It's a sad year for the AMCA. Let's hope the clear things up. Having the membership vote on competent people should help. It's crazy to have the board vote on the new board members, they vote in who they think they can have in their back pocket for a vote. I won't even begin to compare this to the USA.

Oh, that's another think I wanted to mention. I think it was Fred that said Steve S doesn't even take the compensation for coming to the USA for board meetings. I can understand why. There are many people in this club that don't think ANY of the board members should be from other countries, I've heard many comments. If he were getting paid to come here for board meetings, the members would be mad. Talk about a tea party!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                        Reasoning for a judging disclaimer was brought up once again. I personally could live with one if it was not the machine owner which was targeted. A disclaimer can be a simple statement to the affect the club does not make and warranty, expressed nor implied, to judgment / point accurracy. A machine owner signature would verify the owner read that statement. Simple.....I the undersigned fully understand the AMCA does not warrant our jugment scoring to be completely accurate. Period. Nothing more is needed for legal protection.
                        That just make way too much sense. Of course everyone should know that a disclaimer is nothing but a boondoggle anyhow, even the most wickedly crafted usually don't hold up well in court.
                        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                          Reasoning for a judging disclaimer was brought up once again. I personally could live with one if it was not the machine owner which was targeted. A disclaimer can be a simple statement to the affect the club does not make and warranty, expressed nor implied, to judgment / point accurracy. A machine owner signature would verify the owner read that statement. Simple.....I the undersigned fully understand the AMCA does not warrant our jugment scoring to be completely accurate. Period. Nothing more is needed for legal protection.
                          Paps
                          I guess us non-lawyer types don't know enough. when I first saw the disclaimer, I asked if it could not have been made into 1 or 2 lines printed on the bottom of the judging sheet, as I had just redesigned the sheet from an 8.5X11 to a 8.5X14 to give the judges more room to write explanations of deductions.
                          I also had to remind people what the definition of judge is
                          judge: to form a judgement or opinion of or upon
                          the key word is OPINION
                          Last edited by kval; 05-05-2010, 10:40 PM.
                          Kevin Valentine 13
                          EX-Chief Judge

Comment

OPINION ! Excellent choice of wording for a KISS [ keep it simple stupid ] legal disclaimer Kevin. Just plain excellent !! Paps

Comment

Sounds like the choice for the new chief judge was made after a long and through decision.....................NOT.

Can't wait to speak with any board members I see at the Dixon AMCA meet, likely a local member first.

Papers please, papers please........................
                              #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCK View Post
                                Sounds like the choice for the new chief judge was made after a long and through decision.....................NOT.

Can't wait to speak with any board members I see at the Dixon AMCA meet, likely a local member first.

Papers please, papers please........................
                                knuck
                                probably the only board member there will be Jim Moore, take it easy on him. he is one of the good guys
                                Kevin Valentine 13
                                EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Working...
                                X