No announcement yet.

48 Pans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the X-over lines are correct for 49-64. I know they are correct for 49-57. I also am relatively confident that the straight set used in 48 are the same as used on 36-47 Knuckles.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I just wanted to butt in here and let you know that there are lots of steel covers out there. I've had and have got a few up here in western Canada, so you guys have got to have a good supply. And as a judge for this era, I'd probably dock you a bit.

Bear
      Bear

Comment

Original or Acceptable Repop?

I am nearing the point of putting my motor together and don't have any pans good enough for my restoration. I have several questions that I am hoping the wise members of the AMCA can give this youngster some direction on.

I have a 1948 EL 5 digit VIN 11xxx, I pulled SS covers off the bike... not convinced original but from what I have been reading might have been original.

I want to know if any one makes acceptable Repops of the SS and Chrome rocker covers, Or should I just stick with originals and try to find mint SS or have steel ones rechromed?

It is my understanding that chrome today looks nothing like chrome of yesteryear. What should be done to keep the original look of new 1948 chrome?

This bike is a total restore from the ground up due to a barn fire. Every thing will look new and nothing will look worn or have an original weathered finish. With this in mind do I need to worry about the chrome of the past compared to today’s newer chrome finishes, or due everything using the Chrome of today?

I have the same questions for push rod tubes, any good repops out there, or do I need to go with originals and rechrome?

Thanks in advance,

Josh Richardson
        1948 EL Panhead
        www.GrandpasHarley.com
        Josh Richardson
        1948 EL Panhead
        www.GrandpasHarley.com

Comment

As they made around 13,000 units in 48, I have my doubts that the last 3000 bikes had stainless covers so I think Chrome would be correct. One thing to remember is that the Factory did not use triple plate for thier chrome. Original parts were chrome over nickle, no copper. That would go along with what you were saying about a difference in appearence. I've never had any problems with push rod tubes made by Colony. As for the pans, the last set of repops I saw didn't have the holes drilled properly. Just more of the modern norm of using repop parts. They most likely wouldn't have worked without the D-rings as some of the holes neede egged pretty good to get the screws to line up.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I agree with Brian in regards to the chrome pan covers. Chrome is more correct for 1948. The last set of reproduction covers I bought were in the late 1980's and I believe they were either Paughco or Jammer. Regardless, I still have them and the chrome is good and they fit and seal well. I'm going to use them on my '48. It's advisable to keep your eyes open at swap meets for good S.S. covers and nice chrome originals. Someone on this forum described the differences between original and reproduction Pan covers. The differences are very subtle and possibly not visable on a stock, assembled motorcycle.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

For what its worth I have an untouched original paint 48, serial # in the high 8000s, high point AMCA judged machince and covers are chrome. Not to say Harley couldn't have used ss late in run but if they did would think after high 8000s based on mine. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I am defiantly going to go with chrome. I just need to locate a set of pans that are nice enough to use "as is" or nice enough to chrome.

Anyone looking to part with a set of '48 pans?
                Josh Richardson
                1948 EL Panhead
                www.GrandpasHarley.com

Comment

Working...
                X