BMW/5 supplemental add-on question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW/5 supplemental add-on question

Future judging question related to a 1973 BMW R75/5. Would this motorcycle be subject to judging deductions if presented for judging with the following supplementary (add-on)?

Saddlebag mounting brackets without the saddlebags. My opinion is without the saddlebags attached judges are enabled to visualize and judge in an efficient manner.

TIA
    Peter

Currently one can purchase a new BMW with mounting racks and cases offered as separate items, e.g. you can purchase just the racks without the cases. So what was available in 1973, could the racks be purchased separately? If so, then maybe no deductions for no cases should apply?
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I thought no deductions for accessories if they are in good shape.
      AMCA #41287
      1971 Sprint SS350 project
      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Peter, if your motorcycle came with saddlebags and mounting hardware from the factory, both should be attached because the AMCA judges will be able to judge your motorcycle with your bags in place. If the bags were an accessory and just your mounts are in place, there may be an issue whether the mounts by themselves are an “accessory” not to be judged. Not worth the risk IMO.
        Richard Spagnolli
        AMCA #6153

Comment

Originally posted by Spag View Post
          Peter, if your motorcycle came with saddlebags and mounting hardware from the factory, both should be attached because the AMCA judges will be able to judge your motorcycle with your bags in place. If the bags were an accessory and just your mounts are in place, there may be an issue whether the mounts by themselves are an “accessory” not to be judged. Not worth the risk IMO.
          Thanks Richard.
          The saddlebags and mounts are considered Supplementary ( add-on) accessories. The Judging book covers this on page 15 section 4. Basically it states such components are accepted without deductions unless if period incorrect or significantly detracts. from the overall appearance. The Krausner bags look good except for some cracks in the plastic on top of the bag. These cracks were a common problem.
          I will be riding the bike to be judged about 60 miles to the meet and would prefer to use the bags. Curious as to how much of a point penalty this could be. One option remove mounts and bags as you stated.
          TIA

Comment

Peter, I would have your motorcycle judged with your Krauser bags in place. Minor cracks would not be a deduction because they would not be a distraction from the from the overall appearance of the motorcycle. I like the idea of you riding your motorcycle to a National Meet and having the bike judged. Good luck.
            Richard Spagnolli
            AMCA #6153

Comment

Originally posted by Spag View Post
              Peter, I would have your motorcycle judged with your Krauser bags in place. Minor cracks would not be a deduction because they would not be a distraction from the from the overall appearance of the motorcycle. I like the idea of you riding your motorcycle to a National Meet and having the bike judged. Good luck.
              Thanks for the great feedback Richard.

Comment

Working...
              X