Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Period Aftermarket vs Later OEM for an Original Bike When The Original Part is NLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Aftermarket vs Later OEM for an Original Bike When The Original Part is NLA

Been a while since I've done any judging. I was asked recently by another member about what was the most "correct" from a judging vantage point for a very original bike: a period aftermarket part or an OEM "replacement part" from a later model. Specifically, BMW introduced the R50 and R69 models in 1955. That year (and possibly for 1956) those models used a muffler that has never been reproduced and for all intents and purposes is unobtainium. In 50 years of riding and collecting BMWs, I have only seen one bike with original mufflers and that has been in pictures only. The muffler style was changed in 1957 and remained the same for over a decade for R50 models and about a half a decade for R69 models. During that period (mid 1950's), there were several aftermarket suppliers in Germany that made BMW specific replacement mufflers (Hoske in particular but others as well). So, is it more "correct" to use a period aftermarket muffler that was available at the time, or use a later model OEM replacement part that wasn't available at the time?

After thinking about it, does the same recommendation apply to a restored machine?

Appreciate any input here....

Thanks.
    Chuck S.
    Last edited by wallaman; 08-01-2022, 10:59 AM.

We had that identical situation appear on the judging field a few years ago. The owner opted for the later model OEM replacement mufflers and stated the original mufflers were not available anywhere. He wasn’t aware of the aftermarket “correct” mufflers. There was a discussion among the members of the judging team and we agreed that we would deduct 1/2 point for each later replacement OEM muffler. The team agreed that would be a fair result under the circumstances and still consistent with the AMCA judging rules based on the unavailability of the stock mufflers. The owner was very happy with the result. He too thought the deduction was fair. For a restored motorcycle, the aftermarket mufflers would be acceptable without deduction if they were identical to the OEM ones. AMCA judging should always remain a fun experience for the members. This is a good example of how the system should work.
    Richard Spagnolli
    AMCA #6153

Comment

Just to clarify, none of the period correct aftermarket mufflers (or reproductions of them) I referred to look similar to the original non-existent, not reproduced OEM exhaust. The choice that needs to be made in todays world is a period correct non-OEM type aftermarket exhaust or a later model OEM (or later model OEM reproduction as Spag referred to above) exhaust. Neither looks anything like the original OEM exhaust for the year or model. Curious how either one would be judged for an "original" unrestored bike or for a restored bike.

Thanks (again),
      Chuck S.

Comment

The AMCA Judging Guidelines assign two points to mufflers on a motorcycle being judged. Two points would be the maximum deduction for incorrect mufflers. The issue here is whether the original style mufflers are available. I have seen many mufflers rusted through to the point that they can be considered a consumable item. AMCA judging rules and past practice have allowed replacement of consumables with the best available replacement as long as the design is similar to the original. There would be no point deduction for such a replacement. In the situation I described, the compromise was a total one point deduction rather than the maximum two point deduction. I believe this was a fair result consistent with AMCA judging rules and guidelines.
        Richard Spagnolli
        AMCA #6153

Comment

Howdy chaps,

(Disclaimer: in 30 years have only wandered onto the judging fields a couple of times but have utmost respect for the sacrifices made by both judges and presenters) ……oooon the other hand (he says with a hint of irreverence, beer in hand, from the peanut gallery) how does one make Winner Circle aftermarket BMW Mufflers suitable for riding? Click link below image for explanation.

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Events/A...2021/i-N6bQD8h
          Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
            have utmost respect for the sacrifices made by both judges and presenters...
            Sacrifices indeed, Peter!

(Aside to Chuck S,... You might score better if you don't tell the judges everything you know.)

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
            X