Miles on Odometer for Restored Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miles on Odometer for Restored Bike

Is there a limit on the number of miles on a 'modern' restored bike's odometer before points are deducted? I have an NOS speedometer, but it's 100 miles to Greenfield from my home. Will that be a problem? Bike is a 1982 Harley FXR. Thanks, Joe
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

If anyone tells you there is, resign your membership and laugh as you enjoy riding your bike. No one in the amca should ever, for any reason, tell you there’s a mileage/use limit for your scooter.

A bike presented for judging must be fully operational and observed running.

A restored bike should be in show room/as new condition, but that doesn’t necessarily mean no miles, never used. Keep in mind wear on the restoration is different than mileage. Careful cleaning and thoughtful riding are the name of the game.

Personally, I most admire the guys in our club who get through judging, then ride the bejesus out of their bike. I think the original paint guys have it a bit better in this regard. It’s why I chose to keep one of my recent acquisitions as is. I won’t score terribly well, but I also can ride with impunity knowing a bit more mud and scratches won’t really matter.

Comment

If the rules specifically say "as it left the factory", Joe,...

Better restore a crate for it while you're at it.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

LOL T. Cotten, thanks chuckthebeatertruck

I am very happy to report the judges really liked my bike! Only found a few faults, scored 98.5 points! Got both Junior awards, and enough points for Senior and Winners Circle in the future.

Here is my bike in the judging area:

IMG_4879.JPG
        All in all it was a great experience, even with two weeks or more of 10-12 hour days to finish it on time. I put 50 miles on the shake-down rides, but I wound up trailering it to the event. But that turned out for the best, because my brother bought these two very original 1960's Triumph bicycles he's going to clean up and ride with his wife:

IMG_4851.JPG
        AMCA #41287
        1971 Sprint SS350 project
        1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
        1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
        1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
        96" Evo Softail self built chopper
        2012 103" Road King "per diem"
        plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Good deal and congrats on the score.

I bought a triumph last year for mrs chuck at wauseon. We refinished it and she adores it. Basically,everything you need is still available even decals and new brooks saddles.

Comment

Joe, congrats on making it to the meet and the score is very impressive. I must have missed you by about an hour, I think I rolled out at 2:30, then up to NH. It was a nice meet in a nice location, for those that did not attend, lots of room, paved roads inside the fairgrounds and it was FLAT!!! Made for nice walking and a little riding around the grounds.

Comment

Hey Joe, love that bike! Hope my ‘82 looks that nice one day! I was involved in judging for my first time at Wauseon and they had discussion about the restored speedometers. Luckily the team I was on had both our president and our ex head judge. (Really enjoyed it and learned a lot!) They both said that this topic will be discussed shortly and made clear. I don’t want to speak for anybody else, but on the bike we were on at the time we did not dock points for the speedo not being reset.
              It was also mentioned many times that the AMCA wants to see winners circle bikes ridden not squirrelled away.

Craig

Comment

Dear Joe, well done and welcome to the AMCA judging system. Check out the rules on the Website, which include 'Owners are encouraged to enjoy their motorcycles for their intended use, and for the purposes of judging the motorcycles can show signs of operation such as road film, bugs, oil smears, fuel stains, grease and oil splatter from the drive chain or minimal tire wear.' I think that makes it pretty clear that odometers need not be zeroed.

For Cotton, I too have been amused that 'as they left the factory' usually means crated for the railroad. The judging rules now say '...restored to the same condition as when the dealer received the motorcycle from the factory, aka factory correct'.

If you enjoyed your judging experience, trying joining a team as an Apprentice Judge next time. Anyone who has had the parts through their hands will be surprised how much they know.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                  Dear Joe, well done and welcome to the AMCA judging system. Check out the rules on the Website, which include 'Owners are encouraged to enjoy their motorcycles for their intended use, and for the purposes of judging the motorcycles can show signs of operation such as road film, bugs, oil smears, fuel stains, grease and oil splatter from the drive chain or minimal tire wear.' I think that makes it pretty clear that odometers need not be zeroed.

For Cotton, I too have been amused that 'as they left the factory' usually means crated for the railroad. The judging rules now say '...restored to the same condition as when the dealer received the motorcycle from the factory, aka factory correct'.

If you enjoyed your judging experience, trying joining a team as an Apprentice Judge next time. Anyone who has had the parts through their hands will be surprised how much they know.
                  Would there be a conflict or problem with the situation that I have in that the "factory" prepared a Record Card for each motorcycle produced. I have copies of the cards for 2 motorcycles of this brand that I have and can see some slight alterations from the original 1933 and 1938 specs - done by previous owners. Long ago discussions with the previous owners told me the reasons for the alterations and I have not converted either bike to the "original specification", sort of "in memory of the previous owner/riders".

Maybe I am just sentimental in all this but to "restore to factory spec." seemed to be altering history. Long ago under the old AMCA judging system, both bikes were awarded "Most Unique" trophies. They have not been entered for judging under the current "new" system.

Al

Comment

Dear AFJ, I have been judging for 25 years and sit on the AMCA Judging Committee, where we are currently agonising over rule changes for the 2023 season. The first thing to remember is that judging is a minority interest in what is a riding club, and only about 10% of members participate, although I hope the other 90% admire correct motorcycles. I restore showroom bikes for my pension, but have most miles on my bobber, which has a Period Modified award but would get nowhere in AMCA judging. I admire unrestored bikes, while 'riders' rather than 'points bikes' is what most of our club members enjoy.

The Judging Committee is 8-10 experienced AMCA judges on a monthly Zoom call moderated by a Board member, voting on a modest number of rule changes over the year. Last year we had a big push, putting together the 2019 Judging Handbook and the 2018 Judging Guidelines into a single judging booklet being trialled at our Meets this season, and available through the AMCA Website. Apart from editorial improvements, the rule changes were that reproduction frames were no longer allowed, and 'factory correct' meant that every judged motorcycle should have the frame and engine with which it left the factory. Some smaller changes will be made for next season, but have to receive Board approval after going through the Judging Committee.

The Judging Handbook has some long established wording at the end saying in part 'The AMCA judging system emphasizes the importance of keeping unrestored motorcycles as such....When these all important motorcycles are sacrificed unnecessarily to restoration, we have experienced a tragic loss.' The British VMCC has the factory build records for most UK marques, and the Brough and Vincent Clubs also have details of the components going into each machine. If your bikes are unrestored then I would leave them as is. If they are restored and entered for judging then I would still leave them as is, and take the deductions on the parts that differ from the factory build sheets. Like you, I am against altering history in pursuit of judging trophies, and the Most Unique award for your machines seems the correct result to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X