Judging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judging question

I have a 48 FL that was restored 35 years ago. The motorcycle has aged well and was kept on display for the most part but does have some miles on it. My question is the motorcycle shows well but has a few chips here and there. I entered it in the restored class at Oley for this year. Am I wasting my time having this motorcycle judged? Should I go through the process and find out what I need to correct to make it a better bike? I like riding this motorcycle but always wanted to get it judged.

Originally posted by projectstarter View Post
    I have a 48 FL that was restored 35 years ago. The motorcycle has aged well and was kept on display for the most part but does have some miles on it. My question is the motorcycle shows well but has a few chips here and there. I entered it in the restored class at Oley for this year. Am I wasting my time having this motorcycle judged? Should I go through the process and find out what I need to correct to make it a better bike? I like riding this motorcycle but always wanted to get it judged.
    Have it judged and change it as necessary. It would give you a starting point. Jerry

Comment

I'd start with Palmer's, ProjectStarter!

http://www.howtorestoreyourharleydavidson.com

Its what you will be judged by anyway.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by projectstarter
        ....am I wasting my time getting it judged?
        Please ask yourself, ProjectStarter,...

Just what exactly would you hope to gain from judging?

(It can't be a trophy!)

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

There is no "age limit" to restorations. There are several "winners circle" bikes that have been rejudged many times over the years even though the restoration has aged. Use of the bike doesn't preclude judging unless service parts have been used that aren't to original pattern. Remember, you have to be able to start the bike for judging :-)

There's also been more than one person who bought an older restoration, learned it wasn't correct, and corrected it. So, nope, you're not nuts at all.

I'm curious, not critical, of what you mean by "what can I do to my motorcycle to make it better." Do you mean make it more like it left the factory -- or a better riding bike?

Not trying to bust chops -- I'm genuinely curious. I recently took in a 1949 Moto Guzzi and was contemplating something similar to what you describe. However, I'm not changing tires for original pattern nor would I swap back to the original tail light only (ie no stop switch). Makes it a PITA to ride without some of this stuff.

Comment

Its pretty hard to waste judges' time, ProjectStarter!

But if you already know what is incorrect, you've already done their job.

If nothing else, judging should still be rewarding for meeting new people and making new friends.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

When I say make my bike better. I figured the judges report would give me a good starting point on what needs to be refreshed cosmetically.
              Aha -- now I see what you're driving towards. Thanks for clarifying.

Just remember that a worn item, if correct, will still pass muster. Restored doesn't mean it's super shiny -- it means it is not original. Craftsmanship is important, but in theory after 35 years your repainted bike should look a lot like a 35 year old factory paint job.

I'd simply be straight forward with the judges what you're after. Most will use the opportunity to work with you . . . and rope you into judging :-) .

Comment

When I say make my bike better. I figured the judges report would give me a good starting point on what needs to be refreshed cosmetically. It is a great riding motorcycle. I have never had a bike go through the judging process and thought it would be something I would like to have done.
                I'm not (and never have been) an AMCA judge, ProjectStarter...

But I can out-nit-pick any of them on your carb cosmetics!

Personally, I must first beg to ask, however,...

Why do you need anybody else to decide what's improper character on your personal machine?

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-22-2022, 04:52 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Judging can present a nice baseline to work from. A 35 year old restoration may surprise you as many more OEM parts were available back then as opposed to now. The most important factors are whether the frame and engine are correct for the year and the VIN is original on the cases. Everything else can be corrected.
                  Robbie
                  From your pic I see a few items that will get you a point drop...
                  Last edited by Rubone; 03-22-2022, 06:03 PM.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                    ...From your pic I see a few items that will get you a point drop...
                    Robbie makes a good point, ProjectStarter,..

If you could post some good detail pics of it, we might be able to save both you and the judges a little time on the field.

I'll bet your cosmetic issues are beauty marks!

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-22-2022, 09:03 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

It's a good plan to post pictures here and take comments from our well-informed forum members first. The AMCA judging system criterion is 'factory original' for restored or unrestored motorcycles. A '48 will need good engine numbers appropriate to the year or part year of the frame. Older restorations with non-period accessories can take a hit because they are no longer factory fresh nor unrestored. But I would still give it a go, if only for the information from our experts. Remember we are a riding club and only about 10% of members participate in judging, but the other 90% appreciate bikes that are right on the button. Think what 'better' means to you. Do you really want to trophy hunt and restore/repaint a 35 year old restoration that is a good rider? It is always good to know how your bike diverges from 'factory original' but you don't have to do anything about it. Anyway, $15 should be money well spent for you if you pre-register for judging at Oley. See you there!

Comment

I have had a few of my bikes judged going back to when they first went to the points vs. the "Good 'Ol Boys method". It is not a waste of anyone's time. You get to learn more about your bike, and the judges get to learn more about judging, especially the neophytes. I am not a judge nor do I have the knowledge to be one. The fact is that a "Restored" classification is much more difficult to achieve a high point than an original classification. Wear and tear is expected on an original, not on a restored. Remember, they judge a restored as "It left the factory". That means, "NO" wear and tear. No nicks, no oxidation anywhere, no nothing. So when they run out of deductions on a restored, these wear items crop up, points start getting deducted that were never deducted before, and depress you because you can't go backwards. Do not be surprised if items come up that were not deducted the first couple go rounds that now begin to show up.

Have the bike judged, learn from it, make new friends and enemies, don't take their word as gospel and start changing everything they say, and keep the valium handy.
                        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
                        X