Correct finish on 1940 El early sand cast cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct finish on 1940 El early sand cast cover

I am looking for information on the correct finish on the early1940 EL sand cast cover with what looks to be a welch plug in the top and 8 fins. The palmers book only has some information and is a guide. I am looking for any members with a winners circle 1940EL that would be willing to share information to help me with some questions and guidance with finishes and some one year only items in this restoration process. This is my first bike being built to be judged and after loosing many parts in a fire. I have been finding that replacing parts, labor and finishing costs are quite expensive so I would like to get this as correct as I can from the start...Any and all help and lesson's learned in the judging process is greatly appreciated... Thanks, Paddy

Well as long as no one has responded. I think the original finish was an original matte. I do not think that HD spent any time polishing it - that was done by later owners. Jerry

Comment

Thaks for the input Jerry. I don't know why any judges have not responded. Maybe this cover finish was subject of controversy? Sure would be nice to hear from a member that has had his restord 40EL judged. As the seems to be alot of fire and last year items on this bike.

Comment

Originally posted by paddy View Post
        Thaks for the input Jerry. I don't know why any judges have not responded. Maybe this cover finish was subject of controversy? Sure would be nice to hear from a member that has had his restord 40EL judged. As the seems to be alot of fire and last year items on this bike.
        Sadly most sand covers have been polished. Well we are all judges and none of us really know. Jerry

Comment

It was as it came out of the mold. Bare unpolished cast aluminum. Cleaning with a Vapor Home is good. Then you will have to get some "Cadmium" paint for the Welch plug.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
          X