Motive for Entering a Bike to be Judged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motive for Entering a Bike to be Judged

Do people ever get paid money if they win a first place competition? I have always wondered about that, being a new member and never being able to go to a Swap-Meet yet.
    I always thought people entered the judging to see if their bikes were as close to original as they could get against the knowledge of someone who did not know.

-JR

There is no 'first place' in AMCA judging. Your bike starts with 100 points and points are deducted for incorrect finish, and parts. The is a progression from Jr. First, Senior, to Winner' Circle, which means your bike is judged 3 times. That gives you to opportunity to correct the things the AMCA Judges find. As for the motives for people to enter their bikes in judging, that could be as complicated as learning calculus from a Lithuanian text book.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Everything you need to know about judging is on the AMCA website. Look under the Events drop box, look at Judging information. You can even download the entire judging handbook.

There is no incentive other than your own desire to prove your dedication.
      Private shows are a different ballgame altogether where it is all subjective and at the whim of whomever is judging and their personal preferences without any base line for comparison. Especially categories like "peoples choice" which are based purely on viewers response. The internet is littered with "winners" of local, regional, and national "shows" which are merely for visual pleasure without the objectivity of an AMCA judging. Some of the major invitational custom shows do offer cash prizes, etc.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I know nothing of judging, Folks!

But a close associate, after buying a trailer, long distance travel expenses, diddling the deductions he doubted, etc., etc., .,,

Figured he had dedicated something like fifteen grand into his Senior First badge. (I haven't asked if he cashed in the trailer.)

It would be a helluvalot cheaper if it could be done digitally.

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-24-2021, 12:19 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Good points from all of you. I didn't know there was a handbook. I will check that out.
          One of the AMCA judges thought I made an odd comment when I called my project a period custom. The bike is a non-numbers matching 1949 Indian Scout. The bike is not the kind of bike that would ever be judged, but will have a permanent home with me. Too many good people have sold me parts from all around the globe and across the US to ever sell it. I just hope it runs good when I get it all put together!
          Thanks guys.
          -JR

Comment

Working...
          X