Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Modified ?

Hello All,
    I have not had a bike judged & have looked forward to the experience. However,
    I don't think my bike when completed will qualify. It won't be factory correct, but its close. There are a few areas that won't pass judging scrutiny. Also, a few areas that are obviously incorrect at a glance. I have sweat the details during thirty years of research, but it is my only bike & I built it for personal preference. What are the requirements for Period Modified? Maybe that will be a good fit.
    Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob:
    Check out Chief Judge Kevin Valentine's column in the Spring magazine when you get it. He gives an overview of the whole concept of period modified that will answer your queries I'm certain.
    Cheers
    Pete Gagan, AMCA Prez.

Comment

Period Modified ?

Hello Mr. Gagan,
      Thanks for the speedy reply. I've been pacing to the mailbox in anticipation of the Spring issue. Now I may sprint. It's been a long winter here in Cleveland. I hope to shake your hand one day & ask if there is a red Vincent in your stable.
      I enjoy your storytelling.
      Thanks, Bob

Comment

Period Modified

Hello again,
        The Spring issue arrived & I am rejuvenated. Thanks to Mr. Valentine for the Period Modified description. Following is an exerpt from his article:
        Accessory: "If it can be added or bolted on without discarding an original part, it is an accessory."
        Period Modified: "If it displaces an original part without being original to that year and model of bike, or not available from the factory at the time that bike was produced, but may have been available as an after-market item, it is a Period Modified part.
        This may be helpful to the unfortunate members who have not yet received their mag. I'm not going away just yet, I have questions.
        1. I assume a plating or paint finish change on a part falls under Period Modified.
        2. When making a part change, as an example, replacing the stock oil line on a '47 Knuckle & installing a '48 vintage outside oil filter canister, that obviously would be a Period Modified part & close to the year of manufacture. But, is there a limit on when the incorrect for factory or preferred part was made from the year of the bike?
        3. If there is a part on the bike that was made to enhance performance or safety, but not available as an aftermarket part, custom fabricated by the owner or a shop, is that allowed as a Period Modified? I understand there has to be a line drawn to separate from Customs.
        4. How about 6 volt to 12 volt conversions?
        5. Lastly, our present judging system is excellent, judging bikes against themselves instead of the group. Are Period Modified's going to be judged the same way? I don't understand how that can be accomplished. There is no definitive record to compare. The freedom of personalization & creativity contradicts that approach to judging. Is it better to have a near factory correct bike with a few modifications or a bike with all the bells & whistles?
        I am NOT opposed to this category, not only does this category allow me to have my only bike judged, I'm sure it will give the club a boost. I would just like a better understanding. Maybe these details are still being worked out. Thanks for the post. I look forward to good riding weather. Bob

Comment

period modified

Bob
          sorry it took so long for me to spot your post.
          to answer your questions
          1: plating and finish on a restored bike should be correct, for a period modified it is not important
          2: you are correct and the limit would be we would not expect to see a 67 part on a 30-40 bike
          3: a fabricated part to enhance performance or safety is allowed
          as are other parts that make the bike personel
          4: 6 or 12 is fine just not an altenator on a bike from the 30's 40's or 50's again they would not be of the time period
          5: they are NOT judged the same as you have assumed, they are judged JUST like the "most unique" award whereas it is a personel choice of the judges we have seen "bobbers" win and also "accessoried" win both are period modified bikes
          Kevin

Comment

period modified

Hello Kevin,
            Thanks for the reply, I'm in no hurry.
            I gather that as long as a part is from the same period it is OK.
            The judging is based on personal preference. That makes perfect sense
            to me, & answers my questions, thank you. I look forward to the experience.
            Now all I have to do is build it & r i d e....
            Bob

Comment

For Kevin, I assume:

Let me get this straight. A definition of a period modified would be a motorcycle modified in a manner consistent with its period? So, assuming the 35-year rule applies, a period modified could be a '66 shovelhead? Since that is about the timeframe when the "look" (which differentiates a modified from an original) was more in line with what we would consider the beginnings of the chopper era (reference Ed Roth's "Chopper" magazine of that period), the range of acceptable parts would expand greatly.

If that logic is reasonable, and especially considering the long history of engine transplants (reference Max Bubek's Chout), a transplant of a "slab" shovel into an un-raked H-D frame or even the transplant of shovel heads onto a pan would still be modified correctly for that period. In addition, considering our 35-year limit, a circa '69 modified would have accomodated any number of parts that were produced in the '40's or '50's (I know, I was one of the sacreligious modifying our beloved antiques in that time - I humbly beg for your forgiveness). Examples are Crocker and beehive tailights, Hummer and KR tanks, stock or lengthened springers, etc.

If I understand what is indicated in the previous posts, a 40's knuckle would be correct only with parts or modifications consistent with the '40's period. However, it was noted that a 6-V to 12-V conversion was okay, yet the Big Twins did not get 12-V until '65. Since 1965 falls within the 35 year rule, a knuck bobber in 1969 (within our 35 years) would very conceivable have a 12-V system or even a Sportster tank. Or would it in the AMCA definition then become a custom,even with a stock rake neck?

So while many of the members might envision a period modified as a 40's or early 50's bobber, as most of the bikes that have placed in the Period Modified class seem to be, there is in effect a broad range of options open for entry into this class.

Am I correct in these assumptions?

I'm not nit-picking, just trying to get some clarification.

Thanks,
              Lonnie

Comment

period modified

Lonnie
                as per Bud Abbot "we should never assume" BUT you are correct. FINALLY somebody gets it. our judging feild is expanding and that means Period Modified is also expanding.(and the truth is I was also one of the sacreligious ones back then) your assumptions are right on and for the 12V conversion on an early bike that can now be done to look like an original 6V setup and therefore is okay, an alternator on a 40's bike is a no-no.
                so hurry up and finish that 60's period modified and bring it out for all of us to remember our misspent youth with.
                Kevin

Comment

Kevin,
                  Please help me understand...wasnt there a time say in the late 60s, early 70s when no one was doing anything on an Indian (bobber or heaven forbid! stock ) but using an alternator for 12volt set ups???(all the rage was VW electrics)
                  If not then in my opinon 12volts any way you do it would be right because they werent used on HDs until 1965 or on cars before 1955,so what sets the bar? Just the fact that youd use a generator?That being the case why wouldnt that type of setup pass muster??
                  I believe Bob Starks set a few of these,could be wrong...

THANKS

Comment

period modified

inline4nut
                    you might be right, but here in NJ the only thing we ever used was the VW 12V generator that was readily available and cheap

Comment

KVAL,
                      For me its not being RIGHT or WRONG, I just want to know the clubs baseline on Bobbers, On my Four Bobber it has a alternator thats been dated around 1970 and the auto dealership couldnt believe it is still running,I sure what ever worked best for whomever was what was used, and we all know alternators surely were not used in 1941
                      I just think there needs to be alittle wiggile room if you will when it comes to bobbers and that is just my opinion.
                      Thanks and keep up the good work!

Comment

period modified

inline-4nut
                        when it comes to period modified the rule is "there are no rules"
                        bring your bobber out and let's have a look at it

Comment

That just cleared the smoke!! Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks, Kevin. I can see clearly now.

Also, I have enjoyed the new judging procedure. Everyone seems to be aware of the fact that this a way to look and learn and get their questions and concerns addressed on the spot by some great experts. And no one seems to be abusing the generosity. Great move.

Regards,
                            Lonnie

Comment

Period Modified

I'd also like to personally thank everyone involved in creating the Period Modified class. Not only is it an interesting class, but it serves those members with limited means & high standards.
                              Thanks, Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X