No announcement yet.

What is the appeal of judging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had bikes judged since the 80s when it was more of a "Good Ol Boys" routine. Boy, was that an experience when an unknown person showed up with a very well known bike. No one would even talk to me. LOL. When it changed over to the point system I feel it is a better system and gives it more credibility. None of my judgable bikes are restorations as they are OP examples. I have experienced the different judges see different things and do not have a major issue with it to a point. However when I questioned a judge on the finish of a particular nut on my bike that he docked me for as to the reason why, his answer was, "It isn't that way on my bike". Well, needless to say I wasn't happy with that answer as it was the 7th time judged by some more knowledgable people than him and was always above 99 pts. Last time I have that bike judged. Also, what is considered normal wear and tear on an original paint bike?? There is a small 1/4 in. cut on my seat that is 45 yrs old. Is that normal wear and tear on an original 45 yr old bike??? My original goal was a 100 pt bike but it seems too elusive to me. Believe me I am not complaining as I have reached 99.5 if I remember correctly.I wouldn't change the system as I think it does put goals that are able to be realized. I also ride all my junk and will continue to do so until I am just not able to. Then someone can shovel me into my sidecar and ride me around. The system is set up nicely where after reaching winners circle, if that is your goal, you should ride the heck out of them. That is what they are for. Oh, and welcome Susanne. They do require the bikes to run to be judged which is a recent addition to the judging requirements..
    Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 04-23-2013, 07:07 AM.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I think the most important thing about AMCA judging is that it gets old motorcycles out of their caves so people can see them. If it takes a trophy to get an owner to bring his bike to a meet then everyone is a winner.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Where can you see an original paint, original as it left the factory antique motorcycle? Where can you see a restored bike that your peers agree is as correct as can be? Where can you get several (sometimes conflicting) opinions as to whether or not you got it right or your machine, after you worked your ass off all winter? Judging at an AMCA meet. No place else. Oh, and bring your camera...
        A. Bernhardt
        AMCA# 9726

Comment

Lots of excellent discussion outlining the motivation for judging. Agree the same logic applies to cars as it does bikes. Being new to old bikes and speaking from the car side, I'll ad that the comprehensive judging program serves as a catalyist for promoting the authenticity and preservation of the machines as the years go by. Few bikes are in good enough original condition to remain that way so must be fully restored or have some level of restoration to have any hope at all of ever being ridden. When that work is done its serves the hobby well to have standards to which all are measured.

By nature humans like challenge and building a high point bike not only gives one personal satisfaction, pride, and recognition among peers but also in the process drives authenticity which continues the standard long after were dead and gone.

Having said that I am personally a fan of driving the high point cars I have restored. I have never trailered to a meet and some people have called me a fool for doing so. Having been there and done that with highly authentic restoration on cars, I have no desire to make my 48 chief a point bike but have seeked out high scoring machines so I know what is correct when working on mine so am thankful for those that do it. At my age of 51 I realize riding while I'm physically able is most important but having been around so many over the years who have a show car or bike that sits locked in a garage and don't even make it to local shows for fear of something happening I understand "different strokes for different folks"............. otherwise what would we have to talk about.
          Jason Zerbini
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Well I can only speak for myself on why. I like to look at it in pristine condition, not for judging purposes. One bike may have more sentimental reasons then the next. I have plenty of resto riders and wanted to have a decoration so to speak. Having alot of paper tied up in it and not wanting to have it friged up does it to you as well. Just my reason right or wrong i guess.
            1959 XLCH

Comment

Working...
            X