Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Judging to Take Place at Davenport 2012!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off I want to make it clear that I am not singleing Jupiter out. That being said, I always find it strange that most don't appreciate what is available until it suddenly becomes unavailable. I'll use Jupiter for an example though. He has had a bike judged 25-30 years ago but has never thought that maybe he could contribute something to the process and offer his services at judging. There are far too many of us that take that approach. This is a VOLUNTEER organization. We can like or dislike the politics of the AMCA but the bottom line is that when the volunteers don't volunteer there will be no more AMCA. The judging at Davenport may or may not have anything to do with the lack of judges, I don't know. But the fact remains, we all have to help out if things are to continue and flourish. Again, I'm not trying to stir up any crap, I'm just trying to rally support before we lose anymore benefits of belonging to the AMCA. John Lindemann

Comment

Wrong.

I certianly DID appreciate what we had before it was gone. I was GRATEFUL for it and valued it VERY highly.

I did not volunteer because I did not feel I had the expertise or experience to be a judge. That was the last 5 years.

As I mentioned - the 20 years before that was because of what I consider a terrible experience at the Oley meet, and wild horses could not have dragged me anywhere near the judging area at a meet until I moved near Davenport and watched the professionalism that first year which was a stark contrast to the fiasco I experienced at Oley in the 1980's.

Let me get this straight - you are saying that some people (yea, you said me) don't appreciate what they have till it is gone, so therefore it is perfectly fine that the judging at Davenport is gone?

I don't get that logic. I suppose it was just an opportunity to take at shot at me.

I see what happens here. Same as all other forums. You point out a problem and people try to denigrate you.

Have YOU judged John?
      If so - great.
      If not, then I can assure you that you have. You just judged me without knowing me.
      Brother.
      Jim
      AMCA #466

Comment

I think one might understand some of the reasons why Davenport will not have judging next year if you read the Chief Black hawk news letters at http://chiefblackhawk.org/

I certainly support the views of Charlie Finney and now the new president of the Black hawk chapter David Lash.

OUR club does need some changes. The members should have the right to elect who runs OUR club and even more transparency as to where OUR funds are spent.

The link to the expenditures of The AMCA was a step in the right direction but needs more of a break down as who is getting the funds.
        http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/ind...al-information

You can look at this information but you cannot print a copy. Why that is not permitted is a complete mystery to me.

Ed
        Ed Glasgow
        # 2053
        http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

Thank you Ed.

I just want to add that I am close to giving up.

I have heard from someone by telephone regarding this thread. Someone that you all know. I am so thankful for that.
          One or two here have understood. I am thankful for them.

I will tell you all one thing.
          When I was a very young person, I was admiring an old Indian at an estate sale. So entranced that I was sitting on the ground next to it. An older gentleman was standing back, watching me look at that bike.
          After a while he approached me, and squatted down beside me.
          I looked over and he held out his hand and introduced himself. He said, "Hi, my name is Mort Wood, and I noticed how you were looking at this Indian. Do you have an Indian?"
          I told him I did not, but I could never forget how my neighbor took me for rides on his when I was a barely six years old.
          Mort took the time to talk to me, and call me, and correspond by mail (long before the internet) and told me what this club was all about.

He taught me the importance of caring for these motorcycles, before I could have even comprehended this on my own.

I will NEVER forget what he told me this club was all about.

I hope that enough people in the club also know, because that is what it is going to take for this club to remain strong.
          Jim
          AMCA #466

Comment

Originally posted by jupiter2 View Post
            Wrong.

I certianly DID appreciate what we had before it was gone. I was GRATEFUL for it and valued it VERY highly.

I did not volunteer because I did not feel I had the expertise or experience to be a judge. That was the last 5 years.

As I mentioned - the 20 years before that was because of what I consider a terrible experience at the Oley meet, and wild horses could not have dragged me anywhere near the judging area at a meet until I moved near Davenport and watched the professionalism that first year which was a stark contrast to the fiasco I experienced at Oley in the 1980's.

Let me get this straight - you are saying that some people (yea, you said me) don't appreciate what they have till it is gone, so therefore it is perfectly fine that the judging at Davenport is gone?

I don't get that logic. I suppose it was just an opportunity to take at shot at me.

I see what happens here. Same as all other forums. You point out a problem and people try to denigrate you.

Have YOU judged John?
            If so - great.
            If not, then I can assure you that you have. You just judged me without knowing me.
            Brother.
            Jim, I don't want to get cross with you or anybody else. I was just trying to get a point across, but I'll be the first to admit that I am not real good with words so I guess I failed. To address a few of your points though, yes I have judged several times in the past although not recently. Second, I never said that it was fine that there is no more judging at Davenport, although I personally won't miss it. Third, I wasn't trying to take a shot at anybody, I don't even know who you are. I read your other post about your encounter with Mort Wood. That was great, we should all be more like him and lots of the other old timers that worked their asses of for the betterment of the club. Instead of getting disgruntled and give up please take a page from Mort's book and pass on what you know to some other kid. I hope things work out for you. Sounds like you have a full plate. Regards, John

Comment

!

Originally posted by jwl View Post
              Jim, I don't want to get cross with you or anybody else. I was just trying to get a point across, but I'll be the first to admit that I am not real good with words so I guess I failed. To address a few of your points though, yes I have judged several times in the past although not recently. Second, I never said that it was fine that there is no more judging at Davenport, although I personally won't miss it. Third, I wasn't trying to take a shot at anybody, I don't even know who you are. I read your other post about your encounter with Mort Wood. That was great, we should all be more like him and lots of the other old timers that worked their asses of for the betterment of the club. Instead of getting disgruntled and give up please take a page from Mort's book and pass on what you know to some other kid. I hope things work out for you. Sounds like you have a full plate. Regards, John

Fair enough, John.
              Thanks, and yes, I try to when I can.
              I definitely can't live up to the example Mort set for me, but I do what I can - my boys know. I am sure they are sick of hearing about it!
              Last edited by jupiter2; 11-18-2011, 08:40 PM.
              Jim
              AMCA #466

Comment

Originally posted by Edd View Post
                You can look at this information but you cannot print a copy. Why that is not permitted is a complete mystery to me.

Ed
                Ed,
                I right clicked it and hit print and it worked just fine.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris, When I have the Balance or Income sheet up it shows a Security lock and I can not print a copy. Must be me or my computer. Ed
                  Ed Glasgow
                  # 2053
                  http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

Jupiter2, In the interim to help you to improve the correctness of the motorcycles in your collection start a new thread and post photos of the motorcycle that you would like help with. I think if your photos were only of the subsystem that corresponds with the judging sheet instead of the complete bike the members of this forum have the expertise to help you. Some of the members here are judges and the people that might be on the field when you can participate in a local judging event. Tim

Comment

Edd , the only way to print the items is with a screen grab free software.

Comment

Hi Jupiter. I share your pain about Davenport. I have been going for over30 years and see the work the locals put into this fine meet. It is policy/politics over who keeps what funds and when there is that kind of controversy then policy should be reviewed. I hope nothing ever happens to my beloved Davenport as it is my Christmas time/Disneyworld and it's a long trek each year from Western Canada but worth every mile. The suggestion of posting pictures and getting actual feedback by knowledgeable people is an excellent one. Currently I am doing that with two people privately on their teens Indian restorations. I hope the ADULTS involved with the Davenport fiasco can swallow their pride and work things out. I hate not seeing the dates under National Meets when making my plans for 2012.
                        Ross

Comment

Working...
                        X