Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Colors in PPG Acrylic Enamel?

Hello,
    I am getting close to choosing the color for our 1953 Indian Chief CS61082. My wife and I are partial to Indian Red, but we are also considering other colors. Jerry Hatfield's Indian Restoration Guide lists the stock 52-53 colors with the DuPont numbers.

Is there a cross-reference available to convert the DuPont numbers to PPG Delstar Acrylic Enamel?

Or, should I switch to using DuPont, even though the sheet metal is primed in PPG? Can the DuPont auto paint dealer mix an authentic color just by using the paint numbers in Jerry's book?

I plan on using a base coat with a clear coat. Any suggestions on how to get the Indian colors mixed would be appreciated. Or even how to view some paint chips of Indian colors too.
    Thank you very much, Patrice.
    Attached Files

indian paint

auto refinish suppliers should have a cross reference. covers all they have matched, but not all colors of each manufactuer. dupont & ppg have a pretty good cross of each others colors. your indian was almost certainly painted in dupont. if you want indian red coca-cola red is almost dead match. if you have used quality primer and it is cured properly, you should be able to paint over it with any matching style paint(laquer-laquer,urethane-urethane). bob

Comment

DUPONT PAINT CODES
      ---Original 93-2174 Fallon Brown; Current 2174 Brown; Year
      1940--
      ---Original 93-1032 Seafoam Blue; Current 1032 Blue; Year
      1940 thru 1948--
      ---Original 0-94-658-M Red; * Current 658 Red;
      Year 1952-53---
      ---Original 0-94R-20953 Medium Blue; Current 20953 Blue; Year
      1952-53---
      --Original 0-94-5248 Yellow; Current 5248 Yellow;
      Year1952-53---
      ---Original 0-94-6282 Green; Current 6282 Green; Year
      1952-53---
      ---Original 0-94-20952 Light green; Current 20952 Green; Year
      1952-53---
      ---Original 0-94-2622-R Pimpernel Scarlet; Current 2622 Scarlet;
      Year 1952-53--

* The 658 code was quoted to me several years ago as Indian Red and is
      indeed a dark red.
      It was also quoted by Dupont in a letter to Steve Blanchard as the
      nearest current color to the red used by Indian in 1931 which was Dupont
      Duco #22857. (Posted by Steve on 15 May 99). From VI

Comment

Thank you Bob and Paul. I appreciate your help! I am glad you provided the current dupont color codes. I look foward to making the color selection now that I have better information!

The fenders are primed, and I just finished mounting the fender tips and the indian head running light. Next, I will install Kiwi's stainless fender trim strips. They need to be polished first. I tried to bid on an original Indian running light on ebay and quit after $385.00 ....ugh! I have to be careful how I spend my money on restoring the 53 Chief ( I hope to come in under 20K).
        I settled for Kiwi's running light (but I think it looks too modern, too polished and perfect). I wish there was an exact reproduction running light that had the seam down the middle of the lense and did not have the edges of the feathers polished down.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X