Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting an Oil Tank

Hi...

I am forced to repaint my oil tank, (black, on a 65 FLH) as the previous owner had done some pretty shoddy "touch up" on it.

I'd love to bead blast it, or just take it somewhere for sandblasting, but am afraid the media would get into the tank, and I'd never be sure of having gotten it all out.

Up to now, I've been hand sanding, and using a power sander where I feel safe with it not getting dust or paint chips into the tank.

What do you guys do when prepping an oil tank for paint?
    Ride it like you can fix it!

i use aircraft stripper or draino---use rubber gloves though---the old fashioned crystal draino has lye in it---makes a great stripper---you can apply to the outside only or submerge in a 5 gal bucket

Comment

ooh... aircraft stripper... hadn't thought of that

Thanks!

I spent hours "dredging" the sludge and metal fragments out of it with a magnet, then flushing endlessly with mineral spirits. Most of the interior appears intact, but there are a few places where I can see bare metal and/or oxidation inside. Do you guys treat with something like Kreem or just assume that the motor oil will protect the small areas of exposed metal inside the tank from rusting?
      Last edited by JSB55; 06-28-2009, 10:49 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

No! Don't introduce any foreign material such as Kreme or anything else into an oil tank! A little rust is no big deal, there are ways to remove surface rust. ( I have heard the experts speak of lemon juice and vinegar. A mild sulphuric or hydrachloric acid solution will work, as well.)

A good way to remove sludge is to fill the tank with kerosene and add a blend of hex nuts, BBs, and other metalic objects. Shake the oil tank around regularly, do this over a period of time, a few days or weeks. Final clean at a carwash with the pressure wand.

Comment

Magnetized BBs in solution is an inspired idea, Rooster. Will file that one away for next time, as I already dredged it by hand with a large wand magnet.

I thought I knew my stuff, but in the past month or two of participation in this forum, I've learned more creative tricks than I knew existed.

Thanks again to *all* for the many suggestions, and freely shared experience!

Comment

I took my tank to a radiator cleaning company a little while in the soup and it was clean inside and out.

if you use the bb idea seal all the holes then wrap it in blankets and put in in the dryer with no heat (while the wife is out)

did that with my gas tanks worked great
            Last edited by Glenn; 06-29-2009, 12:36 PM.
            Moose
            aka Glenn

Comment

*LOL* ... more great ideas. I should have asked *before* I spent 3 hours hand dredging with a magnet.

Comment

Working...
              X