No announcement yet.

hi-temp silver cylinder paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got hold of my niece in Florida. Flying out week after next to drive her back to Kali. She called up the local HD and ordered some for me. Got them "Smugglers Blues"!

Comment

I was able to use a can of the original HD hi temp silver. You know the brush on stuff that came in those little 1/4 pint cans. Enough to do both cylinders, the blocks and the pump body. If you can still find some. The fellow doing my rebuild work (Paul Friebus) was happy to use it. Says it holds up well and works better than the spray finishes and looks right.

It's getting hard to find though.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Time to resurrect a dead subject. It was mentioned to use a -78 silver paint for a panhead cylinder, is this the same silver that I could use on a 38 EL oil pump, tappet block? If not what would the pint number be? And as a matter of info Adventure HD in Ohio has this paint in stock.
        Max

Comment

While anything with a -78 would not be the same as what was originally used, it may be close enough. As far as I know they used the same silver paint for eveything on the motor. Panhead cylinders, oil pumps, and such. So as long as the collars and cuffs match, who is to say just how shiney or exactly what shade that paint should be. All anyone can say is it appears brighter than the cast aluminum in B&W photos.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Just went down to the Harley shop to get some paint for the heads and cylinders for my sportster.what they had was hi-temp silver part#98606el.is this the right paint with a new part #. Has anyone used this paint on there motor.

Mark amca#8993

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
              I was able to use a can of the original HD hi temp silver. You know the brush on stuff that came in those little 1/4 pint cans. Enough to do both cylinders, the blocks and the pump body. If you can still find some. The fellow doing my rebuild work (Paul Friebus) was happy to use it. Says it holds up well and works better than the spray finishes and looks right.

It's getting hard to find though.
              I have a can of that and I was wondering how to apply it. So you say he just brushed it on.

Comment

Whatever paint used, do not use the WalMart brand degreaser.

It caused the paint on the cylinders to bubble and then lift. This was on my 02 VRSCA which had the factory applied silver. A friend advised the degreaser is like EZ off oven cleaner.

Comment

He prepped first. I can ask to get detail on what he did to clean and prep, but I know he did just brush it on.

Ray
                  AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
                    He prepped first. I can ask to get detail on what he did to clean and prep, but I know he did just brush it on.

That would be great...thanks.

Comment

I'll be talking to Paul Friebus this week and will follow-up. Pretty sure prep is everything
                      Ray
                      AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
                      X