Correct seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct seat

This isn't a true painting question, but it is a color question. I'm restoring a 39 El. One of the seat options is a Rhino russet grain horsehide saddle.
    Rhino grain leather is easy--I understand that. Horsehide is also self explanatory. According to the dictionary, russet is a shade of red. I've never seen a reddish brown saddle on a 39. In the pictures I've seen most people run a black seat. Any recommendations out there where I can pick up a nearly correct saddle on a correct no-vent hole seat pan?

Thanks for your advice.

In 1939 deluxe regular solos were offered in Rhino grain black, the Rhino russet and a standard solo ( no apron) as Rhino russet. The standard seat was sold as late as 1942. The russet color, as far as the seat is concerned , is a bit between saddletan and russet which is a deeper brown with a bit of a reddish hue. The Rhino leather is an embossed random sort of bumpy pattern. I make both the standard and Deluxe styles. My website is www.worshamcastle.com -----Michael

Comment

Outstanding! I love this site. I will definitely keep you in mind when the time comes to order. Anyone else have any others I should consider?

Comment

Paquette's seats are dead on to orig. on the knuck and pan stuff from what I have seen. And the prices are very reasonable for the quality and authenticity. And no, I don't have a vested interest in this... just am impressed with his work.

Comment

bodnarjw,
          No, there is no one else to consider. Not only does Paquette benefit us by passing along his knowledge, he provides us with the best VALUE for our money spent on the service he offers. Signed : Another satisfied customer
          Johnny Whitsett
          AMCA # 8626

Comment

Originally posted by Paquette View Post
            In 1939 deluxe regular solos were offered in Rhino grain black, the Rhino russet and a standard solo ( no apron) as Rhino russet. The standard seat was sold as late as 1942. The russet color, as far as the seat is concerned , is a bit between saddletan and russet which is a deeper brown with a bit of a reddish hue. The Rhino leather is an embossed random sort of bumpy pattern. I make both the standard and Deluxe styles. My website is www.worshamcastle.com -----Michael
            Hi Michael, while the seats were offered in Rhino Russet for 39, were the bags available in the rhino russet? Your website shows the the rhino in black only.

Second question, how does the alligator in your photos compare to the rhino russet in color, or is the alligator shown considered russet?

I am getting closer to determining the color of my '39 and that in turn will determine the seat and bags.

Comment

Silentgreyfello & Johnny--Thank you for the kind words!!!! Saddlebags were not available in the Rhino russet.The alligator bags are correct for 1939. The alligator bags were saddletan in color while the seat was a darker shade. FYI, saddletan tends to go more toward russet as it ages. --Michael

Comment

Thanks for all the great info. I can be reached at jwbodnar@ufl.edu if anyone has any other comments or info they want to send my way.

Comment

Working...
                X