No announcement yet.

Saddlebags Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric, I just learned posting photos here myself a few weeks back.
    I'll tell ya how I do it.
    1)- Resize the photo to about 500x500.
    2)-Upload photo to an internet server.
    I've been using "http://www.123pichosting.com/" for a few weeks now. It's free and they don't even ask for a e-mail address.
    After you upload your photo,copy and paste the URL address provided to this Reply window.
    3)-Add"[img]" to the begining of URL. ...without the quotes " "
    4)-Add"[/img]" to the end of URL....without the quotes " "
    Thats how I do it. Give it a try and see what you think.-Steve

Comment

Just a little update on these bags I've been working on. I finally realized I'm in over my head with these things. I took them for a short ride out to Amish country and gave them to a guy that makes bridals and saddles. He told me they didn't look to good but that he would do what he could for them. He going to soak them for a few days in what he called "sheeps knee oil." Yeah I don't know what that is either. It better be good thou cause he's charging me $6.00 to do it. LOL. God bless the Amish.

Comment

Over by Leman's ??? Those boys usaully do pretty good work. Paps

Comment

Sorry I am so late on this one gentlemen. DO NOT LET THE MAN OIL THE BAGS!!!!! Oils such as neetsfoot, mineral, and baby oil will attract mold and mildew and will ruin them. Trust me on this one as I have restored 100's of old bags. Leather looses oils over time but what they loose the most is moisture. The best way is to fill a bucket or trash can with water ( warm if possible) and add a bottle of pure glycerene ( find at craft stores) soak for at least 24 hours. Take them out, dry them with a towel and as they start to dry, spray them with Lexol and be generous!!!!! Keep spraying every hour or so. Buy Lexol in a bottle form and get a sprayer from Wally world or K-mart ( cheaper than the Lexol spray bottle) The glycerene helps to attract moisture, thats why it is used in soaps and hand/facial lotions. By the way, these bags are 50's era Bucos. I hope this helps but forget the oil!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Paquette, It's probably to late for me to stop them from being dunked into what ever the Amish gentleman was going to use. He said he was soaking a bridal and my bags where going to be next. I can't call him either cause being old school Amish they don't have phones.

I'm hoping he would know better than to put them into anything that would harm them. However I did tell him to do what ever he cared to try on them cause they where of no value to me the way they are.

Thanks for identifying them as 50's era Bucos. Does that make them worth the trouble I'm putting in them or should I just forget about em..?

I'm going to run over there later today and see what up with them. If they are destoyed he told me he could take them apart and make me new ones by using these as a template. I'd have to think about that.

Paps, this guy is just up the road from the cheese factory in New Wilmington PA on Rt18. About a 10 minute trip from here. -Steve

Comment

Steve,
              Strange as it may seem, what works for horse tack is not the best for motorcycle leathers. Not that your bags will be ruined by the oil but it seals the leather and keeps moisture from the leather. Trust me , my experience comes from screwing up a lot of bags in the past and my method is tried and true, as I have never seen a set of saddlebags I could not restore to useable condition!!!! The value of the bags are determined by you but I think they are worth the trouble, just the Stimsonite reflectors are rare as heck. I am making a set of those very bags now in the shop. If you need a set of the wire bag expanders, I make those also.--Send me an e-mail if you wish----Michael

Comment

Michael is a true saddlebag guru and I his word is sound and good. The Amish are well versed in leather work as well. The difference may be the application as Michael stated though. Flip a coin ? .

Know the area well Steve. Most of the Amish in that area are Yoder's. One of the Yoder's is a dentist. NO NOVACAIN. OUCH !!
                Paps

Comment

Michael, I didn't get there in time to stop my bags from being dunked into the oil. To be honest, it didn't make that much of a differance in them. They are still rather stiff and unmanagable.

Would treating them with Lexol do me any good at this point?
                  Is it to late to soak them in water and glycerin again?
                  Come on Mike throw me a bone.-Steve

Paps, As big and tough as these guys are I doubt they need any novacain. I hire them occasionally to do work around my property for me and I'll tell ya what their work ethic and craftsmenship is beyond re-proach. -Steve

Comment

OK Steve--Here goes. If the bags feel greasy from the dunk, buy a quart of lacquer thinner and a roll of paper towels. Soak p-towels in the thinner and wipe them down inside and out. After that use saddlesoap to wash them off inside and out. Then go back to square 1 with the water and glycerine ( you should be able to find the pure glycerine at a Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or simular type crafts store--If you can't find it send me an e-mail). I took a set of Indian 841 military bags out of a soak yesterday that took a week, so don't be timid about leaving them alone. After the soak, go to the Lexol and I mean keep spraying them like heck. At this point, you can begin to try and reshape them. Restoring old saddlebags is never a quick fix so take your time and be patient, after all, it took about 57 years for them to get into this condition.---Michael

Comment

Well everyone, Its not often you'll hear me say this but I give up on these bags. I'm going to stick with my nuts and bolts stuff and leave anything to do with paint or leather to the pro's.

I talked with Paquette at Worsham Castle Leather down in North Carolina this morning. I'm going to send him these bags and let him do his thing. Everyone says "Worsham Castle" is one of the best in the country so I guess I can't go wrong. Right?

When I get them back from Paquette I'll post some before and after photo's. Thanks again to all my fellow AMCA members for your continuing support of my education into these old machines.
                      -Steve

Comment

Good decision Steve. Paps

Comment

Working...
                        X