Cleanser for antique aluminum engine cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanser for antique aluminum engine cases

I'm rebuilding a 1940 ULH engine and want to clean it but do not want it to look brand new by media or glass beading. The heads are the worst they have mud, grease and grime baked on for many years. It spent its early years in the '40s on the Alaska Highway. I want to retain the patina but want to clean it. I thought of using baking soda and vinegar. Just wondering what you guys have used. The owner wants to keep the bike as original as possible but it does need some gentle cleaning
    Thanks
    Pete::::::::;;;;;

A coincidence that you bring that up. I spent today cleaning aluminum parts on my '51FL. I stopped using glass beads and clean all aluminum parts in a laundry tub using household cleansers; such as dishwashing, and laundry detergent (really cuts through grease), and spray aluminum wheel cleaner. I use dishwashing scrub pads, sponges, and stiff bristle fiber brushes. This is not an easy or quick process and very labor intensive but the results are worth the effort and you can control the degree of finish. I did a set of Indian Sport Scout heads last year that had been painted silver over baked oil, mud, and sand. I used paint remover to cut through the crud and then went through the above-mentioned soap, and water drill using a long bristled brush. It's is important to dry the parts thoroughly so the aluminum won't discolor and get spotty. I use a leaf blower to dry the parts. Long winded process, but that's just like me
    Last edited by exeric; 05-24-2024, 10:16 PM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

You can give WD-40 a shot at cleaning it, spray on and wipe off with a rag. Some areas might need Scotchbrite or toothbrush, but WD-40 won't alter the patina in any significant way. Like Eric says, a long winded process!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll try some of these ideas. I may even soak the heads hot diesel fuel.
        Pete:::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;

Comment

Today I worked on stripping down, and cleaning the heads for the '51. I was delighted with how nice the valves, seats, and guides are. I always tried to be good about changing oil more frequently than required because oil changing is also a good opportunity to check all the other little stuff, and give your baby some lovin'. The heads were very dirty in the exhaust area, and revealed where there were pan cover oil leaks that made pitch black carbon deposits. Heads are hard to clean so I dug into my wife's toxic laundry stash and found some powdered detergent that is working great. Still lots of elbow grease, misery, and dish-pan hands.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks exerice

Comment

Dollar General has a cleaner called totally awesome that works pretty good.

Comment

I once used oven cleaner on cases that had black baked in grime that I didn’t want to split just to clean. It took the black off but didn’t brighten the aluminum. Truth told I forget exactly what I did but maybe it’s worth experimenting with.

Comment

If your aluminum is 'too clean', Folks,...

"Mean Green" (or anything with NaOH), will patinate aluminum to where it looks like you just dug it up!

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I got them clean with penetrating oil. I sprayed the heads and allowed them to soak for a couple of days and then used my cordless drill with small wire brushes. It isn't perfect but acceptable and it doesn't look brand new.
                    Thanks guys
                    Pete::::::::;;;;;;;;

Comment

Working...
                    X