Indiian military green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiian military green

Anyone have a paint code for military green for 1941 741.
    From examples I have seen this would be sort of matte finish ,no gloss.
    I usually use ppg concept single stage which is an epoxy but any code to start would help.
    Im pretty sure this is the same green used on chiefs and maybe even Harley and other military equipment but not sure.
    Thanks
    Tom

I would call it flat not matte.The best I have seen used nos parts to match color & flatness

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
      I would call it flat not matte.The best I have seen used nos parts to match color & flatness
      Thanks for reply.Looks like military sites like Kaiser Willy's sell olive drab flat.Was hoping to get a number to give the paint store.
      Tom

Comment

My guess, it isn't even close to the OD Green originally on your 741.It is probably a darker color.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
          My guess, it isn't even close to the OD Green originally on your 741.It is probably a darker color.
          Thanks.I do have a nos air cleaner I could try to color match.
          Tom

Comment

When I restored my '45 EU Chief I decided to paint it "military Jeep Grey". My research led me to look up the military spec numbers for the paint codes. I found several "gray or grey" colors, depending on the campaign, i.e., pacific, eastern pacific, Asian, European, etc. and the various other areas of global conflict our military operated during the war years.

I can only assume there are specific reasons the colors varied is because the color shade was decided by the military leaders according to whomever picked a color of choice to represent which battalion operated in which area of the world. As an example, the gray battleship in the Pacific Ocean near Japan would be a different shade of color as a Battleship in the North Atlantic on the other side of the continent.
            I'm sure you could research the correct color for the OD Green you need. For me, I found as many as 50 different shades of "Grey" in the military spec charts I found. Global campaigns, years specific, and many more criteria. I chose the final color based on the US Army spec numbers for 1945. If you research 1941 military spec sheets, I'm sure you will find the answer.

I do remember the research was a interesting part of the decision making tracking down the proper color. good luck ! C2K

Comment

Thanks c2k.Color variations were also related to theater, with machines headed for the deserts of North Africa getting more tan and brown shades.
              I doubt any spec sheet code would cross reference to todays paint ,but who knows.
              Tom

Comment

Tom, Good luck with your search. I don't have the info. you are looking for or contact info. for him, but suggest you might want to ask Robin Markey about this. If someone else who knows how to reach Robin and thinks he may have an answer, maybe they can reply.

Comment

See page 34 of Bruce Palmer's "How to restore your Military Harley-Davidson 1932-1952" for the paint codes and sources of the various "Olive Drab" paints.
                  Al

Comment

Originally posted by AFJ View Post
                    See page 34 of Bruce Palmer's "How to restore your Military Harley-Davidson 1932-1952" for the paint codes and sources of the various "Olive Drab" paints.
                    Al
                    I don't have the the book or know anybody who does.If I was doing a Harley I would by it.
                    Still hoping to find someone who can tell me the codes.
                    Thanks
                    Tom

Comment

"Anyone have a paint code for military green for 1941 741."

So as long as I am on a couple Indian sites on fb I asked:

PM sent to Robin Markey (To date to reply)

Someone asks: "What country? there are a lot of variables for the various OD colours made during the war years. Batches varied greatly between manufacturers and varied due to the raw materials required to make certain colours. Once out of the factory bikes were subject to individual unit specs as well."

Another person sent along some paint "chips" but someone else was quick to jump on and say they are for 4's, Chiefs and Scouts and 741 not specifically mentioned:

1940 Indian Colors Chief Scout and Four.jpg

The Saga Continues.

Comment

Thanks for looking into that for me Paul.SO far Kaiser Willy's Oliver drab maybe be close.
                        Tom

Comment

There may be some info in Martin Bogaert's book "An American in Paris" which is about the 340 Chief military models. I will have to look in my copy.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I am thinking IF there were a lot of variables you can get close with any military olive drab. That said I think in the magazine archives there is at least one article on motorcycles that went to war.

Comment

I did my obligatory WLA, Folks,...

A quarter-century ago when it was a lot easier. The paint reference was a booklet that listed nearly every military installation to have different suppliers, but nothing for the factory. So I picked out a "maintenance" paint at the paint store, and it was perfect, and even seemed fuel resistant. It looked even better after misting the whole machine with WD-40.

It was the only bike I ever painted with anything but a rattle-can or broom. (My State Police Investigator told me he would walk me to the jail if he ever caught me with a spray-gun.)

I hate paint.

....Cotten
                              PS: After completion, the customer showed me a pic of him as an MP in Italy, and the #@&*$% bike was white.
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-07-2024, 12:39 PM.
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X