WWI military OD green paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWI military OD green paint

Does anyone know what the proper "OD" green paint was used for WWI bikes? I am interested in doing up a WWI Indian powerplus but having a bit of trouble since I believe that it is different than the WWII paint. I would guess it would be the same for most of the WWI era vehicals, so if anyone knows of someone who has restored something from that era, I would like to hear from them.
    Thanks,

TR

Could you please post any information that you do discover. Much thanks.

Comment

I have 2 First war bikes both original paint one is black the other is a dark mustard color both are british and war used ,some one did a paper a few years ago at the university of Montana (I think)on WWI vehicle colors and came up with over 20 different color schemes their was little uniformity in the Great war (not even what to call it!) when American expeditionary forces first arive most of their equiptment was ither french or british guns helmets airplaines at first was just wat ever was around some vehicles wer conscripted into the war , I have seen photos of 10 year old (at that time ) motorcycles in stock colors serving in combat. let me add that of the 12 original O.D World war One used vehicles I have seen in person all were brush painted over an original vehicle color and all different shades . So I guess Im saying it is up to you their was no set color .even the War museum in england backs that up too. John

Comment

That would make alot of sence concidering the situation. I appreciate the research and information on this. Thankyou very much John!
        TR

Comment

Ya, it all make sence. The navy was experimenting with "dazel" camaflage and other countries had there thing going too. I agree 100% on your findings. So then, I should be able to paint my bike to what ever way I like, with the collors I prefer but I need to apply it with a brush just as an 18 year old dough boy would have. Cool! This should be fun!!
          TR

Comment

I was just looking through an old AMCA -fall 1967 magazine "Ernie (Biddle) superb garage and workshop where he is asembling his 1917 US army 7hp Indian twin looking very trim in its original kaki .Ernie bought this brand new bike ,unseen and unknown ,in a sealed machinery packing case at a surplus auctionsale after WWII .Can you beat his luck!He expected to find a lathe but found a new and unused antique bike insted" I feel really proud of my self when I score an old box of nuts and bolts ! is this the bike that I hear about every so often ? but have never seen in person ? who has it now ? really you would have to see it in person to tell if it is factory paint or what? - John from Joisey

Comment

Working...
            X