One More Paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One More Paint question

I went to my local paint store, and found out the only paint they sell is the two stage stuff. After over 100.00 later I had my quart of black. I painted my rim it turned out very shiny, and looks like power coat I might as well power coat the other rim. I know the rims didn't look like that in 1936. I am ready to try a can of spray paint, on my other rim. Has anyone had any success with spray cans, or is there a brand of just black single stage paint out there I can paint my parts with. Stan

paint

you might want to try what i do, i powdercoat first then scuff it up then spray with black gloss paint from a can, i buy what they sell in the auto body paint store, they always have a gloss black in stock. the powder coat provides a great base that stands up the spoke nipples etc. god luck hope this helps, chris

Comment

By two stage do you mean base coat/clear coat or do you mean a catalyzed paint? I always liked Ditzler/PPG Delstar acrylic enamel with a hardener. No complaints.
      A guy in our club was always getting plenty of positive comments about the black paint on the frames of his restored bikes. He used plain old Rustoleum. It gave him a good finish plus it's really easy to touch up. I've used it on some small parts and like it. The last time I bought some it was Rustoleum's "Industrial Hard Hat" line. The name of the line has changed but it still has a yellow hard hat on the can. That line has lots of pigment for deep color and covers well plus dries to a nice gloss. When you spray it, DONT TOUCH IT for a few days to allow plenty of time to dry. It dries pretty tough but no spray cans will dry as hard or fast as a catalyzed paint.

Comment

Working...
      X