Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Codes for 1939 Colors

Hello Everyone,
    I am looking for the correct modern paint codes for the 1939 Harley Davidson Airway Blue (early H-D # 11601-34) and White (early H-D # 11648-X).
    I have worked with John Pierce (Colorwrite) many years ago, but find that he has retired. Can anyone help with the correct match?
    Thank You,
    1939wl
    Member # 8964

I don't know of anybody anywhere who has modern paint codes for old H-D colors. H-D never supplied paint codes. Your best bet is to have a paint mixer match the color for you. Original cans of paint can often be found on eBay.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Hello Chris,
      Thanks for getting back to me. I have some original paints from the 40's, 50's, ( not those colors though) I was just hoping someone has mixed these two colors recently and copied down the formula.
      If I had a good chip, or a sample spray out of the two, yes, I could have a local shop match and mix that way. I do not have good samples or chips of those two colors, however. White is surprisingly hard to match, as there are so many variables in shades that we call "white". I had worked with John Pierce years ago, and he always was able to match the correct color. That's why I asked here, I believe he is retired now.
      Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Member # 8964

Comment

I got told that whilst John is no longer maintaining his website he is still in business via telephone. Could be wrong of course.

Comment

Airway Blue is the old VL Seafoam Blue rebadged. I had one of the old Antique Cycle Supply nos colour samples and matched it to a 50/50 mix of European RAL codes RAL 5009 and RAL 5019.

Comment

Hello Steve,
            First off, Thank You for all you do for our community !!!! Second. thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I had samples of the Airway Blue and White from Lonnie at Antique Cycle Supply years ago, and I'll be darned if I can find them ! I have looked everywhere (except where they are) and I don't throw anything out. I am familiar with the Pantone System and acquainted with the European RAL codes. Your info is invaluable. The VL Seafoam Blue/Silver combination is one of my favorites.
            Thank you very much.
            Member # 8964

Comment

Thanks for the nice words and I still have the Antique Cycle Supply Seafoam Blue paint sample if you get desperate.

Comment

Working...
              X