painting rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting rims

I went to my local auto body paint store to buy paint for my rims, and frame. I found out everything needs hardener now days. I painted one rim, the rim turned out very good, and shiney almost too shiney. I don't think the paint was that shiney when the M/C was new. Almost Looks like powder coat. Another thing I found out is the paint is very brittle. Almost afraid to paint my frame due to the fact that items bolted on will chip easy. Ready to buy a can of good spray paint. Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks, Stan

Hi Stan, I too am in So Cal - I used a little piece of ruber gaskit to keep from chipping my paint. Hate to see it crack as you tighten down bolts. I had trouble with chipping the paint when putting tires on too. You might want to consider powder coat, they can do just about any color and that stuff is tuff. I painted my stuff with arcrylic urithane with a hardener, rims, frame, all sheet metal, worked very well and is holding up very well. But the paint is getting so dangerous now days, I dont know maybe the powder coat is the way to go. Also Ive read that the dangers of the paint are cumalitive, so one needs to be careful.

Comment

Powdercoat raises eyebrows among purists and may raise red flags with AMCA judges.
      Whatever...
      I use it all the time and it comes in degrees of gloss.
      Looks great on rims and really stays on.

Comment

Working...
      X