1934 Harley Teak v. Vermillion red?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1934 Harley Teak v. Vermillion red?

Hello- Wondering if anybody might have examples of the differences between the two variations of red listed for 1934 harley "Teak" v. "Vermillion. Also wondering if anybody might have paint codes/formulas for these colors. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

They are the same color. I have an original 1/4 pint can and the label says part number 11626XA TEAK RED or VERMILION
    Dave

Comment

Thank you. I thought one seemed like it might have a little more orange in it.

Comment

Usually people call the 1933 Mandarin Red the same as the orangey Vermilion, with 1934 Teak Red darker. I've had nos paint samples of both on the old Antique Cycle Supply test cards and they look different. Teak Red was a popular colour and ran through the 1940s, so I speculate that 11626XA is different from the original 11626-34 part number, and some kind of later Harley rationalisation and cost saving measure.

Comment

How accurate were those ACS test cards, I had a discrepancy with one.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

My problem with the Antique Cycle Supply test cards was the paint spot was small and often really thin. I collected most of the VL era ones and matched them up to RAL paint codes as best I could for my VL book references. What happened to those test cards? Did they go to Toms nos parts, or JW Boon? I could sure use some more now.

Comment

Steve, Another Harley mystery. (at least for me) Do you know when my can of 11626XA TEAK RED or VERMILLION was produced? The 1932 accessory catalog lists 11626-X Vermillion (sprcify size can). The 1934 accessory catalog lists 11626-34 Teak red AND 11626-X Vermillion, (specify size can). The 1937 accessory catalog lists 11626-X Teak red (specify can size) No Vermillion The 1941 accessory catalog lists 11626XA Teak red (the A indicates 1/4 pint can)
              The 1947 accessory catalog does not list Teak red. Possibly a catalog I don't have lists it.
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              X