Paint question on Vintage restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint question on Vintage restoration

When repainting an old bike, in my case a 1922, do you paint it with a 2007 showroom shine, or more of a satin finish? Which is more correct, or doesn't it matter since it is a restoration anyway? Does one help in resale if I decide down the road to sell?

Are you contemplating painting it yourself, or will you be contracting it out?

Comment

Whether I paint it myself or not has nothing to do with my oruginal question.

Comment

I prefer the satin finish as it looks more original. The over use of clear looks silly imo. Flash back to the late 1970's earily 80s.

Comment

If you read original literature of that time, paint finishes were hand rubbed to a high luster. Paint finishes were of very high quality based on original paint bikes I have seen. I shoot the appropriate clear over acrylic enamel and then sand and buff. I think it looks pretty good. I certainly wouldn't go for the "orange county choppers" look of deep clear. I think that looks crappy even on those goofy bikes. If you really want the straight skinny on paint you should review the history of this category for John Pierce's input, or hope that he jumps in with his opinion.

Comment

Paint finish on early F,J etc Models:- All of my vintage Harleys are sprayed in glossy Acrylic Enamel. Glossy with clear on most of the decals. Aperantly, in the teens the brochuires mention hand rubbed finish. In the twentyys, the riders manuals mention shellack finishes and caution the rider to avoid spilling fuel over the paint job. I have a 1923 side car NOS fender and it apears to be shellacked over the Coach Green with three gold stripes. The shellack is breaking down over so many years of storage with pit marks in it but still wrapped it tattererd old brown paper. With that, for twentys year production models, I think you can get awayy with a light clear coat to fuel proof the finish but not to be over done to chopper style Also, the last bike, a 54 is done in Eurethane pastell color, more durable but still retains the look of Glossy Enamel.Looks right to me.......Joe

Comment

Working...
            X