AMF 71 tank sides decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMF 71 tank sides decals

Hi guys , anyone who could have for sale or who could tell me where i could get the 2 small 1971 AMF left and right decals included in the lower black stripe in the tank sides? i already have the black and white stripes decals surrunding the HD logo.it is for my 71 FLH . And also , who can tell me if those decals were just added on the clear coat , so easily removeable , or if they were under the clear coat? i 'm going to repaint my tank as original , and wouldn't like to do a mistake. thanks for help!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Not sure about where to find that decal but I am pretty sure that in 1971 the paint was single stage enamel, no clear coat.

Comment

gitguy, do u mean that all decals ( mainly gas tank decals ) were just applied after painting , and with no any kind of protective coat on them in 70's?

Comment

Harley-Davidson did not start to clear coat over decals until 1974. If you're shooting the tanks, i would advise not clear coating over the decals, it would darken the decal.
        I do believe the small AMF decals did not appear until early 1971. The AMF decals were add-on's. Something to do with AMF owning Harley-Davidson paid in full?

rick_s_restoration_decal_s_7457f3819a0803d3396027a5abd3094e6699584b.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26450751535...kAAOSw~6lhbczQ

*M.A.D.*
        Last edited by JoJo357; 12-29-2021, 06:13 AM.

Comment

That small white "AMF" Decal was 1971 only. it was placed over top of the other decal. 1972 the tank badge changed and had "AMF" Stamped into the badge next to "Harley-Davidson" is easy to see if you google 1971 or 1972 sales fliers or check the AMCA virtual library if you cant find them or own them. As for the decal I never knew any very accurate reproduction ones to be out there. I know I have a few NOS original ones I can dig out and upload pictures of. I could possibly reproduce a few but need to dig them out and find them first. see if I can find them tonight when I get home.

-------------------------------------
          Billy Balcer
          Strange Bird MFG.
          www.StrangeBirdMFG.com
          Lake Erie AMCA - President / Editor
          www.LakeErieAMCA.org

Comment

i called Rick Simpson from RICK'S RESTORATION DECAL'S and here is what he said to me :" I WORKED AT A HARLEY DEALER IN THE 1970’S AND IF I RECALL THE AMF’S( #61170-71 "AMF" 71 XL/FX/FL) WERE IN THE DEALER SET UP OF THE MOTORCYCLE AND SOME DEALERS APPLIED THEM AND SOME DIDN’T. THE DEALER I WORKED DIDN’T APPLY " Capture d’écran 2021-12-29 à 09.47.33.png
            Last edited by JPAN84; 12-29-2021, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X