Painted Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted Rims

I am at a point where I need to make a decision on what to do with the spokes on my 36 indian 4. I was going to replace the spokes with stainless steel, which isn't stock, but seams to be tolerated by the judges. I was at a show recently, and noticed a few old bikes had painted spokes which looked good. I think some bikes came from the factory with painted spokes in the late 30's, or were they all painted black? Were the rims and spokes ever offered in colors other than Black? any info apreciated. Stan

Hi Stan,
    On my original paint 29' chief, the spokes are painted black. But I do have documentation on this bike that says they had been replaced with heavier spokes in 31' so it's obvious that these are not the originals. Personaly, I don't think there would be a problem if you painted them but then again I'm not an AMCA judge. Perhaps if you wher to ask one of the chief judges. Good luck Stan.

TR

Comment

For some reason, I don't like the look feel or sound of stainless in anything. Unfortunately, the cost of plated steel spokes is downright hateful anymore. 1936, I believe would still be nickle on both spoke and nipples. That, at least is less expensive than cadnium. Somebody here should know what is correct plating for 1936. By the way, about 15 years ago I thought I was going to be real slick and plate SS spokes to get the benefit of stainless and the proper look of cad, plus the ss being cheaper. Half of the spokes broke during tightening due to hydrogen embrittlement. Hydrogen embrittlement will occur with nickle plating also. One to think about while you are doing 75 on plated SS spokes. As far as putting SS spokes on a Four, if you are doing a grand, bazzilion point restoration, you shouldn't even be thinking stainless. The cost of the correct spokes is minimal compared to the overall cost of the restoration. One more thing I would recommend is buff that irritating "B" off the spokes before you plate them. Everything can be redone, but I like to do my wheels once. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Comment

Does any one know of another source for spokes besides Buchanan's Spokes. Or are they the only game in town.

I have been satisified with their products in the past, but they seem to only have chrome plated steel or stainless. I would like to find unplated steel. (grinding that blasted B off the spoke head is irritating)
        Rod

Comment

I hand flied off the "B" from the spoke heads and glass bead blasted the SS spokes and nipples. They look CAD. Or some acid treat them on top of this.

The SS spokes are just one less thing to rust.

Comment

None of my bikes are AMCA judge material, just fun riders. Have had painted and none and ss, ss is so much easier and always looks good, if not interested in judgeing - its hard to beat. Never had any trouble with em riding Tom.

Comment

Beadblasting ss spokes renders them indistinguishable from cadmium plating. You can do it or Buchanan's will do it for you. As far as I'm concerned it's the only way to go. You can then paint over the bead blasted ss spokes if you wish . Remember for a rider or a show bike, rust is the enemy, cadmium doesn't last and is environmentally unfriendly . ss spokes are only marginally more expensive than mild steel and a bargain at that.

Comment

Working...
              X