Indian Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Red

Do the paint colors for the new Indians come close to matching the original, 1901-1953 colors? If I need to paint a replacement part can I get away with 2021 Indian Red spray paint? This is for a rider, not a show bike.

I think your best bet would be to contact the current company if your bike is not a vintage 01-53 Indian. What usually happens is a very disagreeing mis-match of colors. There are all kinds of online sources for the old paint codes if you ever need them, though finding a shop that still makes them takes a few emails to the right people. I tried color matching on visual when I painted my first set of fenders for my '49 Scout and it turned out to be a huge mistake--way off. After searching the right code, everything was fine. See the attached photos--first the mismatched fenders to the right color tank and then the photo of all the correct color.
    -JR
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi JR,

When you tried to match was the color scanned at a paint store? The touch up I originally ask about isn’t critical (the original paint is 107 years old and very aged so it’ll take another 50 years for repairs to age to match) but I do have another project where it’s new paint, like yours, and I don’t have the original paint formula.

In your research did you find anyone that sells spray cans of Indian (01-53) paint colors?

Your project is looking nice. Is that Indian red or TT (Chinese?) red?

Thanks,
      Rob

Comment

For the project you see if the finished photo, I stayed consistent with the paint code provided by the seller of the gas tank, which was already restored when I bought it a couple of years ago. So that person gave me the code, which was a modern code, though consistent with something I found in the Indian Four literature called, "Rolls Royce Red." I still don't know if that was an official color in the paint codes of that era, though my color was still consistent with the tank. That's really what mattered in this particular case.
        the TT was only one factory color, some call it Indian Trials Red or Lustrous Scarlett Red. These are the only two names I have ever seen used for the color. One in the add I gave to you earlier in the year when you asked about the development notes and another description in factory literature produced to outline model features that were published like the service shots were back in the late 40s.
        In the case of vintage Indians, it usually helps to know the model you are working on. Go to the Paint forum here and look at some of the past posts. Your answer might already be archived. These guys are pros even though they say they are learning just like us. Some of the work you see here has been done by people who have already done research and have other technical skills.
        i will try to find the code sheet and post it here later today. I don't have it scanned yet, though remember getting it from Virtualindian.org--a valuable website with a wealth of information, even though it is no longer functioning as it once did. The information you need might also be there.
        Good luck and I'll post the codes I found later toady.
        -JR

Comment

Thanks John, I’ll do a bit more research. Rob

Comment

Here you go. These are at Greer's Engineering, which is a top quality restoration company in South Dakota. They have a website and sell original and reproduction Sport Scout and chief bikes and parts.
            The two extra flyers are articles sent to me by Starklite, Gary Stark's company in California. Gary also sells reproduction vertical parts through their website, though his focus is Indian Chief bike parts and his own transmission sales. Most of them are way out of my league because chiefs are serious money, even repros. So what the flyers can help you with is the IMCA forum, which is free and may provide you with better, more up-to-date information on Warrior TT information. The document I shared with you not long ago is just historical and not the final word on them. I don't know which problems persisted to the end and which ones were resolved. I haven't found a motor yet or I would be glad to share my experiences riding and testing with you.
            Remember, if you are a member of the AMCA, you have access through a separate login to the AMF Library, another priceless resource--free with membership dues. if you don't have access, ask me and we can arrange email outside this system so you can receive attachment manuals, also priceless. There are several for the Indian verticals, not just spare parts and overhaul.
            -JR
            Attached Files

Comment

I forgot to mention something, Rob. When I recently painted my Arrow oil tank I used Rustoleum self-etching primer and a paint from TouchUpDirect.com--that's probably what you are looking for for a modern Indian. The website has a drop-down menu for models and years 2015 up to now. I was not so concerned that I had something that matches the original Indian red as something that will be close and consistent among the various parts I am painting myself.
              I will take a photo of the oil tank in full sun later and show you.
              -JR

Comment

Here they are.
                -JR
                Attached Files

Comment

Indianrob,

Here's another recent example of what results you can get with Rustoleum gloss black in rattle cans. This is an original Moto Lamp stripped, sanded and primed, then repainted with about four coats in two weeks. Not bad results, though not as durable as a powder coat. Still, for someone just beginning to understand the process and to get some more inexpensive practices in order, not bad results.
                  -JR
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all of your information and effort. I’ve printed the pages for my reference binders - will be very useful! Now I need to go look at TouchUpDirect. That’s perfect for my current repairs.

Thanks again JR,

Rob

Comment

BTW, your experiments with spray painting look really good.

Comment

Glad to help and I hope the photos and other information help you in your project.
                        -JR

Comment

Working...
                        X