Early panhead factory custom paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early panhead factory custom paint

I have always liked this paint scheme on early Hydra-Glides. Was this a factory option, or just a popular fad?

17g7jr.jpg
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric, that was an optional (at extra cost) paint job Harley offered first in I believe 1953. I thought I had a copy of the dealer bulletin announcing it but I can't find it. I know Bruce does. Maybe Robbie has one he can post. Actually, I like it, too. So much I painted my '55 FL that way; Pepper Red with Daytona Ivory panel.
    Dave

Comment

It was a "Spring Special" color option. It shows up on '53s and '54s and is prominently mentioned in the "Enthusiasts" along with special order blanks and in the '54 accessory catalog. In '54 it was also available in reverse on black and white combos. '54s were odd in that they could be had with different color fenders and tanks, so the black fendered models could have white tanks with a black stripe, or white fendered with black tanks with white stripe. It was popular on "K"s and lightweights as well.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks, Dave, and Robbie. Always good information, and very much appreciated.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
        X