Frame Paint Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Paint Comparison

There are many choices of gloss black paint for frames. Two that are most often recommended for newer bikes are VHT Epoxy and Majic Tractor, Truck and Implement Spray. Yesterday, I started to find out which would be best for restoring my 1982 Harley FXR.

I thought the frame was painted what the car people call Chassis Black because it wasn’t very shiny, but under the VIN sticker the original paint was quite glossy. Earlier frames, I was told, aren’t quite so glossy.

IMG_2764.JPG
    I sanded and cleaned a piece of flat bar for this test, and heated the cans in hot water so the paint would be warm through and through.

IMG_2808.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG

After shaking for two minutes (using a timer) I gave them one medium coat. Coverage was about the same for each, but the Majic was shinier. The VHT dried a lot faster and leveled better.

IMG_2810.JPG

Attached Files
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

I gave it a second coat after about 15 minutes, and was not happy with how the Majic paint orange peeled. It was definitely blacker and shinier than the VHT paint, though. The directions on the Majic can say waiting 24 hours between coats would give a better finish. I didn’t have patience for that, and paid the price.

IMG_2815.JPG

VHT wasn’t as dark or shiny:

IMG_2814.JPG

Comparing to the original frame paint, Majic is the clear winner. The VHT may be closer for older frames? It did match the faded paint on my frame, for what that’s worth.

IMG_2816.JPG
    VHT:

IMG_2817.JPG
    AMCA #41287

Comment

Today I was pleasantly surprised to find the Majic paint leveled itself overnight, and looks pretty good. Waiting 24 hours between coats would have given a really nice finish.

IMG_2821.JPG

I wondered if the VHT would benefit from a third coat, and it does look thicker, but still not as black or shiny as the Majic.

IMG_2823.JPG

In conclusion I am going to use the Majic Tractor paint, but will buy a quart and the hardener. I will be able to adjust the air pressure and get it to lay down smoother. I will also wait 24 hours before spraying the second coat.

AMCA #41287

Comment

Smart test and good pictures. Thanks for posting.

Question: No primer needed for either paint?

Comment

No primer used, just trying to see how they lay out. However, the VHT can says it works on bare metal, the Majic didn’t say either way, just caution if you use primer to let it dry properly and scuff it. But when you use the quart of Majic with hardener and their reducer, they say do not use over primer.
          Last edited by joe fxs fxr; 05-10-2021, 09:19 AM.
          AMCA #41287

Comment

Just my opinion, as I am deeply into the paint work on my '51FL right now; I would use an etching primer on bare metal, filler primer (if needed), and a sealer primer before the top coat of a name brand automotive paint. Most automotive paint suppliers will give expert advice on application, and material. I painted the frame, and all ancillary black parts on my '51 with Nason pitch black acrylic enamel and used a hardener. Dried very hard, and glossy and would be easy to touch up in the future. Harley-Davidson used gloss black on all of their parts, and they strived to achieve a durable, quality, gloss finish. Time, and environment is brutal to paint so the best finish is going to dull over time. I'm not trying to be critical, but just saying what has worked for me. A good paint job is not cheap, or easy.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Oh, I agree, my first thought was to use an etching primer, but the products I selected for the frame say otherwise. When it's time to do the tank and fenders, I'll use a good automotive BC/CC system over etching primer, filler, etc.
              AMCA #41287

Comment

Working...
              X