1946 Knucklehead Grey Paint numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 Knucklehead Grey Paint numbers?

I'm looking to paint my 46 sheet metal Grey but can't find any info in my Bruce Palmer 2nd edition book. Anyone know the paint numbers?

Also, does anyone know how the badges should look in early 46 if the tanks are gray? I've seen some that were black with cream stripes and red HD lettering.

Thanks

Basically here are no "Paint Numbers". You can order paint from http://hdpaint.tk/colors/
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris

Comment

I have an original photograph from Swim Harley Davidson with Mrs. Swim sitting on a brand new 1946 Knuckle. I think the bike is skyway blue but it could be gray. The photos is in black and white. The tank badges are white with black stripes and lettering. I will try to get a photo posted up soon.
        #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Which one of these bikes do you think is Harley "GRY" paint code for 1946? Man, I hope it's the dark gray one..
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

From what I have seen it is the lighter one. Seen what are purported to be OP bikes and they are the lighter shade. Look at the one on the cover of Palmers book and i think you will agree. You can paint it what ever color or shade you want but if you want it judged it needs to be as close to correct as possible.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
              From what I have seen it is the lighter one. Seen what are purported to be OP bikes and they are the lighter shade. Look at the one on the cover of Palmers book and i think you will agree. You can paint it what ever color or shade you want but if you want it judged it needs to be as close to correct as possible.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA #12766
              Thanks. I think you're right on about it being the lighter one.

Comment

Sort of late but here is pic of a brand new Knuckle for 1946, Mrs. Swim from Swim H-D. DSCN4332.JPGDSCN4335.JPG
                #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

About the bike on the cover of Bruce's books; when I was disassembling it for a full restoration I found original Police gray on the underside of the rear fender. I polished it and took the fender to the paint store to get the color matched. The paint store that I was using at the time didn't have a color spectrometer to computer match the color so he mixed it by eye. So I really don't have any numbers.
                  Dave

Comment

I don't think there is a specific color match for the painted badges to the paint color. They were available as accessories, so in '46 I believe they could have been any of the painted colors from the dealership. Good luck.

Comment

Most/all factory photos of 43-46 models show the gray tank emblems. The blue and black ones I think, were parts department items.
                      VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                      X