Want Paint Advice from John Pierce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want Paint Advice from John Pierce

John, what paint do you recommend for us out here that don't want to use urethanes or acrylics with hardeners? I have used Centari in the past, but wonder if PPG acrylics can still be used without the hardener? Or what else?

Everything needs a hardener to have resiliance to sun gas etc. Lead was the ingredient that did the job 15 years ago . It's gone . Urethane is it . PPG did have a urethane conversion hardener for Acrylic enamel a few years ago I think it was D X 80 I may have the number wrong . But really . I have Urethane jobs 12 or more years old that still look great , it is the way to go . J P

Comment

Thanks,John. Yes, I know the urethanes are superior. But my question pertained to those of us out there that don't want to invest $1000 or so for the supplied air hood/mask and safe compressor system to safely spray urethanes. We just want to paint some parts from time to time using the tried and true acrylic enamels, without hardeners, so what is out there with PPG or the other brands?

Comment

OK Sherwin Williams has a line called Refinish Select in that line is Acrylic primer surfacer, in red oxide or gray, Also napa sells Marti Seynour which is private labled S-W and has the same product under the Econo name. Use laquer thinner or Gun Wash which is Laquer thinner SSHHH. Use aerosol S-W etch primer part # 988 two coats under your surfacer, air dry . Wear a charcoal mask wear disposable gloves, and use some kind of exhaust fan . As for color or clear that doesn't need Hardener I don't have an answer . I'll sleep on it . Seriously the industry is changing fast . Europe is using water Bourne product now and we'll see it in a couple of years. Hope I was of some help . J P

Comment

Thanks, John, good to see you are on the case. I have contemplated purchasing all of the required gear to safely paint with urethane, but even so, if you just need to paint a handful of brackets, etc. you don't want to go through all the trouble. Hopefully, there is still an acrylic system out there,without hardeners, that can be used for colors. A couple of months ago, I used Centari with Nason reducer to paint a fairing for my dualsport bike. It kind of came out OK--some spots of low gloss, but I think that was my problem, as the applicator.

Comment

Paint

Here are a couple of optins for non IsI products: Step 1 : S W aerosol self etch part # 988, Step 2 S E M Hi Build Aerosol Primer surfacer Part # 42013 Step 3 NASON FAST DRY ACRYLIC ENAMEL BLACK Part # 414100 reduce with NASON part # 44121. Spray cans are a good stand in to keep from having to clean a paint gun after a small job For a bigger job of primer surfacer ther is NASON ACRYLIC LAQUER SURFACER part # 42123 Thin with NASON part # 48116 Or S W brand RS 4202 thin with RS 8000( Acrylic primer ) All non catalized . Ther are probably some other colors ,but I asumed you ment brackets, or other small parts . Non catalyzed top coats are dissolved by gas and have a short life span in the sun .( A year or so) J P

Comment

I ran across a spray can of Urethane clear recently Part # SPM 3680061 by a company called Spraymax . It is a two part product that mixes when you open a valve in the bottom of the spray can and then shake , I would imagine it is a to be used quickly . I don't see my self using it, but considering the questions by Swall I thought it worth sharing . After all spray cans are a damn goodstand in Thanks J.P.

Comment

Working...
              X