Flying merkel ral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying merkel ral

Hi, I'm restoring Racycle 1905 and I hope and think that Racycle's orange was same as Flying Merkel. Is there anybody who would help me wit the RAL (number) off the orange colour of F Merkel?
    And is it true if that colour was Du pont' s colour?

1905 is the first year for Raycycle, and you may very well have the only early Raycycle on the planet. I'm not sure, but I don't believe the early Raycycles were painted orange. Later Raycycles were a yellow/orange but not like the brilliant orange that Merkel used. Also, there was no connection between Merkel, and Miami/Raycycle in 1905; as they were competitors. The 1905 Raycycle was an Indian clone and used a Thor built (Indian) motor. The new AMCA archivist, Chris Price may be able to give you more information on the early Raycycle. I would contact him.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

D25F0111-09DE-495C-A9E8-6AC8B4710759.jpg
      Originally posted by exeric View Post
      1905 is the first year for Raycycle, and you may very well have the only early Raycycle on the planet. I'm not sure, but I don't believe the early Raycycles were painted orange. Later Raycycles were a yellow/orange but not like the brilliant orange that Merkel used. Also, there was no connection between Merkel, and Miami/Raycycle in 1905; as they were competitors. The 1905 Raycycle was an Indian clone and used a Thor built (Indian) motor. The new AMCA archivist, Chris Price may be able to give you more information on the early Raycycle. I would contact him.
      This Racycle was sold few years ago and my will be second. Isn’t this colour same as FMerkels? When I look on the web looks simular to me- on old not restored FMerkels

Comment

I've not seen any color specifications on the early Raycycle, but looking at B&W pictures from 1905, the bikes looked dark, like a dark blue, black, or dark maroon. The bike in the picture you posted is outfitted as a 1907 model as the 1905 Raycycle had the camel-back gas tank like an early Indian. It has always been common for bikers to upgrade their motorcycle to look like newer models, and I assume that was done with this bike. The Raycycle in the picture you posted came from the E.J. Cole collection and I'm sure there is someone out there that knows that bike's history. In regards to Merkel orange, I think 1909, or 1910 was the first use of that color (if someone knows, please let us know). I have a 1911 Merkel that had traces of original orange paint and I agree with you that your 1905 orange looks like Merkel orange. But again, there was no link between Merkel, and Miami Raycycle until late 1910.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

(1905) Reading Standard Thoroughbred and 1905 Racycle were Thor's clones ( Aurora Automatic Machine Co.) as I understand from pictures, books and EJ Cole description for my previous picture Racycle:" The Racycle was the motorcycle brand of the Miami Cycle and Manufacturing Co. of Ohio and was one of the many brands using the Oscar Hedstrom-designed ‘Thor’ engine produced by the Aurora Automatic Machine Co. The Racycle used the F-head automatic inlet-valve single of 311cc, and in common with other early moto-cycles was very light at 120 pounds and good for around 30-40 MPH. The engine used total-loss splash oiling, with a battery-and-coil ignition and by 1905, included a dual-action sprung fork. Controls of the Racycle were a combination of Bowden wire for the throttle and twistgrip and rod for ignition control. This 1905 Racycle, serial #A2447, is in original condition, although the battery box appears to be a patinated reproduction. It remains an incredible example of a 110-year-old motorcycle from the earliest days of true series production in America.
          My engine num. is even lower.
          Main difference from R Standard and Racycle was front fork- there was also others but smaller.
          For racycle I read that was cheaper version of F merkel in later years- so maybe they use this colour on later F Merkels??

Comment

https://www.mecum.com/lots/EJ0315-21...acycle-single/

Comment

It appears they may have came in red:

IMG_3790.jpg

Comment

I know nothing about them but I will say the front suspension is rather innovative. I am always amazed at what the early engineers came up with.

Comment

Here is a picture I have. It says 1905 but that could be wrong.
                  Tom Raycycle 001.jpgRaycycle 001.jpg

Comment

That post card post date is 1907
                    Louie
                    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Working...
                    X