Calypso Red Chip/Sample/Code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calypso Red Chip/Sample/Code?

Would anyone have a chip or sample of Calypso Red to match that you could share or sell? A code for something similar?
    Emailed John Pierce and he only sells quarts for $360.(a little high for the budget)
    My 58 is about 75% correct and I would be happy with something close to the original color.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

I would keep asking around, Eddie. I have a small can of Tango Red, and I'm sure someone out there can spare a few brush strokes of Calypso Red on a piece of metal to help you out. Years ago, Antique Cycle Supply sold good swatches of H-D colors. Unfortunately, that ended. Personally, I think $360 is outrageous for a quart of paint based on someone's opinion of the correct color.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I know it was 4 years ago that you posted this, if you still need a paint sample I have a Calypso Red one from Lonnie atAntique Cycle Supply that I have had for my 58 Panhead. You are welcome to borrow it if need. It is a small spray swatch on cardboard.

Comment

Thanks for the offer! I was able to buy a small nos can on eBay and had it matched.

Comment

How well did your paint match- - -match your sample, Eddie?. I have not been happy with computer spectrophotometer paint matching and don't believe it is as good as the human eye. Curious to hear what other members have experienced.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            How well did your paint match- - -match your sample, Eddie?. I have not been happy with computer spectrophotometer paint matching and don't believe it is as good as the human eye. Curious to hear what other members have experienced.
            It is not that spectroscopy is inferior to the human eye, Eric,...

Its that there are so many human eyes. That's why folks can have favorite colors, and why bikes aren't all black like they should be.

Reflected light is specific to chemical composition, and two productions of the same paint should vary, even if our rods and cones can't detect it. (Until you touch up one with the other....)

HD Burgundy is Indian Red I swear!

....Cotten
            PS: I hate paint.
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-12-2022, 07:44 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I was watching one of those garage TV shows, and their painter said the trick to color matching is to look at the original paint and spray cards at a low angle. That way the pure color is seen, not reflections, glare or other distractions. Seems to work for me matching house paint.
              AMCA #41287
              1971 Sprint SS350 project
              1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
              1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
              1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
              96" Evo Softail self built chopper
              2012 103" Road King "per diem"
              plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I think think it matches the original paint very well. That being said, its a subjective topic....
                The machine spit out a high percentage match % and the guy selling me the paint seemed pleased by that outcome.
                On the other hand, the machine put out a low percentage match when I had a sample of olive green scanned. The salesman said that would need to be tweaked by a human.
                Haven't had that done yet....

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Eddie. Funny how the computer said it got it right for your red, but shrugged it's shoulders on the olive green. I need to match Excelsior Military Green for my 1919 Henderson because my last computer match for that color was way off. I tried (on my own) to make a match by adding different colors and documenting the quantity ratios. I thought I had hit on the right formula, but when I made a 1/2 pint mix (by my calculations) it didn't match. I now realize that paint matching is a highly developed skill of a professional. My original Military Green was a Centari formula but all those color #s are now obsolete.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Eddie. Funny how the computer said it got it right for your red, but shrugged it's shoulders on the olive green. I need to match Excelsior Military Green for my 1919 Henderson because my last computer match for that color was way off. I tried (on my own) to make a match by adding different colors and documenting the quantity ratios. I thought I had hit on the right formula, but when I made a 1/2 pint mix (by my calculations) it didn't match. I now realize that paint matching is a highly developed skill of a professional. My original Military Green was a Centari formula but all those color #s are now obsolete.
                    "Military Green" is Olive Green.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I believe you are right, Chris. To my eyeballs, they seem to be a spot on match. I've wondered if Indian's WW1 green was the same?
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                      X