Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help to identify this original custom factory Harley color.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help to identify this original custom factory Harley color.

Seen this 1958 HD original paint bike and need to know what the color is. It is for sure factory original paint but it was a custom color from the factory. I have a couple of angles some in the shade and another I took on shady side. Not faded too bad. Heard it could be an earlier year color maybe.
    Attached Files
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Paint experts.......................

Comment

I am certainly not a paint expert, but I DID stay at Holiday Inn Express....

... and I have a copy of The Legend Begins, in which it is clear that the color configuration shown on the motorcycle above is a standard factory configuration.
      While "Calypso Red" was a shade first introduced in 1958, "Pepper Red" was the factory offering from 1953-57.
      I can't tell you if the color shown is Pepper or Calypso- or some other special red, unless I stay another night at the Inn.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Comment

Thanks Holiday, to me Pepper red seemed a bit too red but Calypso red was close when I looked at samples. Then take in the age it gets a little hard. More..........

Comment

Go back to 1952, and "Persian" was the shade of factory red.
          I recently painted all the appropriate pieces of my 52FL with Persian Red. Remarkably, the DuPont code for that color still exists and is a valid code/color.
          When viewed from different angles in different lighting, the tones and tints vary greatly. My painter said it's obviously a vintage paint by the way it "looks"; he called it 'muddy', even though it's a two-stage paint. I can post a few photos tomorrow if you'd like....

Comment

The color looks like faded Calypso Red, a standard 58 shade. It is not Pepper Red.
            VPH-D

Comment

Working...
            X