Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941cruiser green

Hi,
    I am a new member over here from Holland and owner of a late 1941 knucklehead since '92.

It's in a non standard paint( put on in the nineties) and I was going for a more correct ,orginal 1941 color, being Cruiser Green.

To get the colour as close to original as possible and having read a couple of threads about it over here,I was lucky to be able to buy an original can of Harley Paint from those days:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382129999054?

Got a message from GSP however that ,to my horror,the can was confiscated.. bummer!

Looks like there is no way to get paint over from the USA to Europe nowadays..

Does someone have the modern formula of the Cruiser Green paint derived from an original HD paint can (plus is willing to share it!)
    Of course I am willing to contribute in the cost already made to get that formula.
    A large chip would also do to get it right with a spectrometer

Don't know anyone around here that has the correct color...so that's why this long shot.

Rein
    Last edited by nukkel; 07-07-2017, 09:37 AM. Reason: typo

You should contact John Pierce. He'll sell you a colour chip that your painter can then have matched. According to his website he has 41 Cruiser Green.

http://hdpaint.tk/

Comment

Hi Peter,

Thank four your suggestion!
      I have just sent him an email and will see what comes out..

At the same time I will shortly get an " antique cycle supply " card with that colour on it..( old dealer stock)
      It's another bet,but I fear however whether it will be large enough to get it scanned correctly,also the correctness of the colour makes me unsure.

rein

Comment

Hi,
        google came up with a few Cruiser Green painted ones:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20157[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20157[/ATTACH]

Although all beautifull bikes, some of them are more going towards green,others to blue.
        Also you can see a paint chip I got over here . It's an "Antique cycle supply " chip ,old dealer stock.
        It looks a lot darker!Would that be the correct one? I am puzzled looks very green..

Of course all these pictures were taken under different light conditions, cloudy, etc. ,but still there is a lot of difference inbetween.

The sample on John Pierces website looks blurred out,so I sent him pictures of "cruiser green" bikes on both ends of the spectrum as can be seen in the picture.

He told me the paint he has is darker and is a Green with a Blue cast,he took a N.O.S. can of Cruiser green , sprayed it and matched it, a few years ago.
        Also he can send me a 2"x 2" sample which is great.

Lots of positive reactions about John's paint over here so I think it's the way to go.

Would be great to see a picture of someone who used his Cruiser Green however!

Rein

image.jpg
        my chip ..
        Last edited by nukkel; 07-15-2017, 06:08 AM. Reason: added picture

Comment

Howdy Rein,

Favorite vintage HD color, my 41Fl below and more pix at Lin below that. As a painter I can tell you that the complexity of tints in this formula are unlike the very straightforward black, blue, red and greys of that era. Almost akin to pearl mixes of today wherein changes in artificial and natural light settings make this color look completely different. No pic on the Net really does it justice, looks best in person and as already provided a chip supplied to the paint house in person will yield the best results.

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...41FL/i-KdhVfPM
          Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

hi Peter,
            great bike you have there!
            Have gone through your pages on the internet earlier ( and ofcourse now again !).
            Beautifull!
            Saw you have long ribs.. I myself went through the process of replacing a long rib " replacement case with incorrect numbers" with a late 1941 correct one, good numbers, long reinforcements,big chunk broken out though but got it repaired , happy camper now but that's a different story.
            Doing my best to get things right for 1941..

Was nearly there buying that original paint on ebay... they probably took it for an explosive , so it' s still in the US ( seller didn't get it back either.

As you can see the picture of that paint chip comes nowhere near the colour you have..I fear when getting that paint made and sprayed it will be a disaster.
            image.jpg
            image.jpg
            Got to have confirmation that those cruiser green" antique cycle supply " chips are the correct colour.
            I have a couple of others from them, from the nineties, squadron gray etc. they were good! Different text on this card though..

Maybe John Pierce " cruiser green" is different, I will have to find out.

Added a picture of my 41 knuckle.It's ( egyptian)ivory and the colour is on since 92. Getting boared with it somehow,also not correct for 41, hence all this!
            regards Rein

image.jpg
            Last edited by nukkel; 07-15-2017, 12:40 PM. Reason: paint picture added

Comment

Years ago, Antique Cycle Supply had excellent paint chips. The last chips I got from them were an embarrassment for them, for supplying such a poor sample, and for me, for spending $5 for each one I agree that Cruiser Green is a gorgeous color, and looks so good on Peter's stunning '41.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                Years ago, Antique Cycle Supply had excellent paint chips. The last chips I got from them were an embarrassment for them,
                That confirms my fear..

thanks!
                Rein

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                  As a painter I can tell you that the complexity of tints in this formula are unlike the very straightforward black, blue, red and greys of that era. Almost akin to pearl mixes of today wherein changes in artificial and natural light settings make this color look completely different. No pic on the Net really does it justice, looks best in person and as already provided a chip supplied to the paint house in person will yield the best results.
                  Just received the sprayout I ordered from John Pierce.
                  It really looks much more the colour I had in mind! It's urethane paint with clear.
                  Quite different to the chip I already had so I added a picture where you see them both in sunny condition.
                  Inside both look much greener but still different in respect to each other..

Now have to find someone to get the correct paint out of it..
                  regards Rein

image.jpg

Comment

Howdy Rein,

Urethane is awesome and durable but in my humble opinion clearcoat in this particular case will not look at all original. a far more authentic appearance can be achieved with single stage "high solids" finish as provided by Glasurit. Paint of that era had what is called high opacity as typified by what you see on industrial equipment and even cabinets like Steelcase wherein there were minimal solvents involved and primarily pigment.
                    Cheerio,
                    Peter
                    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Peter, I have never applied Glasurit, but have been very interested in trying it. It is my understanding (as you stated) that Glasurit is a high pigment paint, hence I would assume that it would take less paint to cover, and deliver that super thin covering that Harley-Davidson is well known for. My other assumption is; it's probably very expensive
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                        a far more authentic appearance can be achieved with single stage "high solids" finish as provided by Glasurit.
                        Peter,
                        I just went to the paintstore with the sprayout and with their spectrofotometer they found a 96% match for that paint.
                        Bought half a liter single stage paint with hardener,thinner and sandpaper 1000. €106
                        Right now I have Egyptian Ivory on it and since that paint was put on very well, and still is, I plan on just sanding it with 1000 ,repair tiny spots and then spray.
                        So no clearcoat!

Comment

Get real Folks.

No modern paint can perfectly match original paints, as they are completely different chemically, and thus reflect a different spectrum of light.
                          That's what the whole science of spectroscopy is based upon.

We know the original formulae are virtually extinct, or illegal.

4% difference is certainly significant to the human eye.
                          Unless you fail the test.

....Cotten
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-21-2017, 12:41 PM.
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Tom,
                            I was talking with John Pierce 6 years ago and he said he was producing paint with the exact chemicals that they used back then. But he mentioned that it would end soon as epa was banning some of them. Don't know about whats going on right now.
                            AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                              Get real Folks.

No modern paint can perfectly match original paints, as they are completely different chemically, and thus reflect a different spectrum of light.
                              That's what the whole science of spectroscopy is based upon.

We know the original formulae are virtually extinct, or illegal.

4% difference is certainly significant to the human eye.
                              Unless you fail the test.

....Cotten

Cotton 74 is that right?
                              Kevin Valentine 13
                              EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Working...
                              X