Skyway Blue Touch-up paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyway Blue Touch-up paint

The areas under my fender light and tail light were extremely rusty when I got my original paint '47 EL. The metal under the tail light was very bad with the hole into the wiring chase starting to crumble away. The only way I know to stop rust is the seal out the oxygen or cut away all the rusty metal and paint/seal the surface. I languished over this, consulted experts and really got no tricks or good advise that was not something I'd already thought about.

Since I need to restore structural integrity to the now much thinner and very crusty metal, I decided on POR-15 for coating the area under both lights. The problem was the rust has migrated out from under the old rubber gaskets and was visable all the way around both lights. I bit the bullet and decided I'd coat it all and if necessary use a slightly wider gasket to cover it. Well, the wide gasket looks a bit odd and I'm looking for an alternative. The issue is the black POR-15 is visable outside of the light assemblies. I'd like to carefully cover the black with skyway-blue touch up paint. Maybe an air brush would allow me to keep the original rough surface from the rust, while hiding the black.

So, does anyone make small quantities of touch-up paint for this old colors. I realize that fading probably makes asking about touch up paint laughable. But I've been laughed at before.

My other choice, and I may do this tomorrow is take my rear fender down to the local autobody supply house and have them shoot it with their computer and mix up a batch for me. I've been able to get touch up paint there for modern cars with paint codes. I'm sure they were mixed so would like to think they could help me with my skyway blue.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Call John Pierce at Pierce ColorWrite. Hes an AMCA member and advertises in the club magazine. He has the absolutely-correct color match for Skyway Blue.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

Thanks, Bill. A reference goes a long way. I've learned never to trust ads in magazines anymore. I'll give him a call.

Happy New Year!

Rob
      Regards,
      Rob Sigond
      AMCA # 1811

Comment

Spoke to John. Very helpful. Thanks again.

regards,
        Rob
        Regards,
        Rob Sigond
        AMCA # 1811

Comment

My pleasure. John's a good guy. His stuff is not cheap, but the colors are spot-on and of the highest quality.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

spray it down with GibbsBrand.com stops the rusting, like WD40 on steroids, and put your bikes on WOOD

Comment

Working...
            X