Remove O. D. green paint from aluminum cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove O. D. green paint from aluminum cases

I need to remove the original olive drab paint from a pair of aluminum engine cases (H-D 1942 WLA). What is the recommended paint removal method that will not harm the aluminum castings?
    Does anyone know, is this a lead based paint, or not?

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Bob Simmons......oldsport

We use plastic media here(Ground up milk jugs). Will do no harm to the aluminum. I think just about everything you touched prior to 1970 had lead in it. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Of course paint stripper works good too.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

A good auto engine rebuilding shop has a aluminum cleaning tank. The stuff is like paint remover but your cases will be smelly.

Comment

Plastic media? Is this a material prepared for use in a bead blaster?

Oldsport
          AMAC #210

Comment

I contacted one popular paint remover manufacture, they said it was ok unless used on a lead base paint??

oldsport
            AMAC #210

Comment

Oldsport, we have several blasting cabinets in our facility. One of them is loaded with plastic media. Just to do what you want. You can buy twenty-five pounds at any media supply. If ya live in New Jersey or the surrounding area, your more than welcome to come to the shop and knock yourself out. Bob L
              ps: Bring beer! Coors light bottles preferred!
              AMCA #3149

Comment

Zip strip or Martin Seynour Aircraft stripper. Apply it, wrap the cases in tin foil for a few hours (to keep the vapors in) and it will come right off. Finish the cases with Scotchbrite, fine steel wool and metal polish. IMHO, avoid using any kind of media on parts that come in contact with engine oil. Chemically clean... and clean by hand. They will come out looking wonderful.

Here is a thread that I wrote a year or so ago about cleaning cases for my '38 Chief. You can see what hand cleaning can do.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ht=scotchbrite

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

So please enlighten me Sirhr to why plastic media would interfere with a rebuild of a combustion engine? Any residuals will blow right off. If there is anything left, it sure isn't going to score anything or plug anything up. In fact any microscopic particles that would be in there would just mix withe oil and come out in the next change. So enlighten to why. Bob L
                  AMCA #3149

Comment

Hi Bob:

I just don't like any media for case cleaning. I have some plastic media at the shop, but to clean my cabinet out well enough to get rid of all the glass, etc. is almost impossible. Having a dedicated cabinet is definitely a good idea!! I didn't say Plastic (or Walnut) was not a media that can't be used successfully. And some folks use glass or sand and are happy with the results. I just prefer hand/chemical cleaning for any parts that A. come in contact with engine oil. and B. I want to maintain the original finish. Blasting, IMHO, creates an artificial finish regardless of the media.

If it works for you, great. I won't say don't use it. But I prefer not to use media of any kind on anything that comes in contact with engine oil. That said, there are lots of ways to skin a cat... but the engines we rebuild start at about $40K... so we're pretty careful about how we treat castings and what we introduce into areas that come in contact with oil. Doing second rebuilds for free is not something I want to do...

YMMV, As Seen on TV... Offer not Valid in Alberta, etc.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

So you saying that you don't use plastic media because you don't have a dedicated basting cabinet. Not that it does any harm? Blasting cabinet $700.00 clams. Engine rebuild starting at $40K. Just plain cheap and dumb. Bob L
                      AMCA #3149

Comment

Robert, You use a cleaning method that you prefer. Sirhr uses a method that he prefers. For you to say " Just plain cheap and dumb" because Sirhr doesn't use the method that you prefer is just plain wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                          So please enlighten me Sirhr to why plastic media would interfere with a rebuild of a combustion engine? Any residuals will blow right off. If there is anything left, it sure isn't going to score anything or plug anything up. In fact any microscopic particles that would be in there would just mix withe oil and come out in the next change. So enlighten to why. Bob L
                          you'll need to be meticulous in blocking off anywhere you don't want the **** to get into. it may be that these are simple cases where you can clean everything but often that's not the case and remember that internal drillings etc will not be perfectly clean and the stuff will stick like it like **** to a blanket. if the cases are going to be repainted the bead blasted surface is good to key the new paint on

Comment

Working...
                          X