stain on tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stain on tank

on my 74 sporty I have like a stain on the tank it looks like something spiled on it and dryed I have used carb cleaner and that didn't work any hints would be great thanks for all the help

Try fine rubbing compound... then use a hand glaze and cleaner wax. if the compound is too risky, try some metal polish like Mothers... which has a very mild abrasive.

Some pictures would help... Is this a fuel stain? Or something that may have really attacked the paint?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

iam not sure if its fuel or some thing else it left a brown film on the white part of the decal. the judge at oley said he uses some kind of liquid but I forgot

Comment

Is it possible it might be tree sap? If the substance is of an organic nature and it is 'above' the surface of the paint, you might want to try some lighter fluid such as Ronsonol lighter fluid. It used to contain carbon tetrachloride, but today's fluids are a light form of Naptha (napthalene) which will remove organic substances such as pine sap, and most any glue (think organic) and road surface tar. Before trying a fine rubbing compound (depending on the 'type' of paint on your tank), I'd try some BootyPrep Liquid Gold since it has less of a chance of abrading the surface like a fine rubbing compound.

Comment

I have used S-100 to remove fuel stains on gas tanks and oil from a leaking front springer shock on a front fender. Just use sparingly until you see how it reacts. Try not ot get it on parkerized parts as it will leave a white chalky residue. WD 40 will return it back but best not to go through the hassle.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
          AMCA #12766

Comment

thanks for all the help!!!! I will let you all know how it works

Comment

Working...
            X