What type of primer to use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of primer to use.

I am wanting to primer several bare metal parts to prevent rusting over the winter. I will not get around to painting them until next spring at which time I will most most likely use laquer. My question is what type of primer should I use that's compatible with laquer?
    Thanks,
    Johnny

Primer

The best thing to do is use a self-etching primer on the bare metal, this can be bought by the quart or in spray cans at your local NAPA. It actually is a cohesive with the metal and can be sprayed with laquer primer later so you can block it out. The big key is to keep your sheet metal out of high humidity areas (garages, basements, etc.) and get paint on it as soon as possible. Primers actually absorb moisture (such as paints) so they bond. FatDog

Comment

PPG's DP series epoxy primers are also good. They're much more resistent to moisture than other primers, waterproof for all practical purposes. The bad thing is that the surface would need to be scuffed and re-primered if you didn't spray your topcoat on it within a couple of days.

Comment

Self etching primer is called "wash primer" and can be found at automotive paint stores.Consists of two parts.One part has the pigment and the other has phosphoric acid , the acid component being what causes the primer to etch the metal. Good stuff.Only downside is that it has a limited (24hr?) pot life, so it's a "use it or loose it" proposition. Two varieties (of the pigment component)exist--iron oxide and zinc chromate.I recommend the zinc chromate, since it can be used on aluminum as well as steel. Never heard of it in spray cans--where did you find that stuff, Bill?

Comment

Self etching

It is available through NAPA ---Martin Senior Self Etching Primer #7220. I wouldn't use it to do Tanks and Fenders but it sure works great for small pieces like hubs and such. Zinc Chromate is also available through aircraft supply houses such as Wag Aero in cans. Wag Aero also carries Randolph Olive drab which is what the government used to paint WLA's It can be bought in spraycans, quarts, gallons or 5 gallons! Fatdog

Comment

Thank you all very much for the responses. I knew I could find the help I was looking for here.
            Johnny

Comment

Working...
            X