Any tips on Bubble Bag yellowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on Bubble Bag yellowing

Not really a paint question, but this thread seemed as close as I could get.

I have a NOS set of birch white Bubble Bags with significant yellowing. Is there any way to bleach this out or remove it in another way? If not, what is the best way to refinish these while keeping the original flat color and texture?
    Last edited by moon wolf; 08-14-2013, 02:25 PM.

Try wesleys white wall cleaner or bike bright. Try a small area on the backside first. I would not paint them !! They all yellow and the lids get small cracks on the lids from the rivets.

Comment

Moon Wolf
      You neglected to state what the "patina" of the motorcycle looked like as compared to the bags you just found? Yellowing to many of our AMCA Members is sought after. Try various bleach based cleaners in "watered down form" until you get the desired strength cleaning results. Taking the factory finish off is not what you wish to accomplish. Westleys Whitewall cleaner (diluted down) will work. Soft Scrub with a very wet sponge will work as well but be careful as it has abrasive grit. Just try a small area on a rear side area of the bag first.

To repair cracks in the lid, I have had great success with a body shop heat gun (careful not to burn or melt the lid or bag) and then carefully press small cuttings of metal screen material into the crack area, When cooled off the crack does not go away... but it will at least not get worse.

I have my orginal bags on my original paint 59 DuoGlide and love them. I keep a bungee cord on each of the saddlebag lids to ensure they do not "frisbee off and a Peterbuilt plays hockey puck with them." That does ruin ones day!
      Steve Klein
      Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
      American Pre-teens - 1965
      AMCA Member 12176
      Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
      www.CherokeeAMCA.org
      Steve@SteveKlein.com
      Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Working...
      X