Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42 knuck muffler and brake drum - paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 knuck muffler and brake drum - paint?

HI, taking an opportunity to make some changes and return to original.....
    For the "rocket" style muffler, would there be an option to have it gloss black or flat black, or just flat?
    For the brake drums; were they painted at all, or parkarised, or?
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Not sure about the drum...

But for my '46 EL, I used an exhaust paint called "Black Velvet" from the makers of POR-15. Despise POR-15... but all the things that make that goop worthless... make for the best exhaust paint I've ever tried. It's a dark flat grey, not quite black. Wears like iron. And just looks 'right.' Very impressed with the stuff.

That said, not sure if it is the 'right' shade of black for AMCA judging. I can post a picture if you want to see. But for a bike to ride and not judge, it's just great stuff.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I have an OEM (a in ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTIRER) rocket muffler that I purchased in the original Harley box in 1974. It is painted gloss black and is complete with a factory paint run on the bottom.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Every OEM NOS muffler or header pipe in black that I have had over the last 40 years was GLOSS BLACK, and appeared to be the same finish as the frames and other parts. That applies to all Big Twin OHV and SV, WL, WLA, XA, Servi-car, 125, Police Panhead, etc....
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The brake drum should be black, the sprocket should be park.
          VPH-D

Comment

Wow thanks guys, the weather made such a turn for the good that I have been out on the bike for a few days and just got back. Appreciate the feedback, I will make sure the muffler is gloss black, I think I will try this high heat paint which you put on then bake in the oven for an hour, it claims to resist the stains of oils etc. The brake drums will be next, the bike bike came with chrome so I will have to investigate removing it or finding ones to replace, I am thinking sourcing replacement is my best bet as the backing plates were also chromed and removal may be a pain!
            Bob Beatty
            AMCA 19209

Comment

A chrome shop can remove the chrome for you. Another method is to lightly sand or scuff up the chrome prior to painting.
              VPH-D

Comment

Thank you, I will take it down to the chrome guys and see what they can do!
                Bob Beatty
                AMCA 19209

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
                  The brake drum should be black, the sprocket should be park.
                  VPH-D
                  Would that be a Gloss Black as well?
                  Bob Beatty
                  AMCA 19209

Comment

Yes, gloss black like the frame, handlebars, primary covers, etc.
                    VPH-D

Comment

Nite Owl, Harley was in the buss of making motorcycles and getting them out the door. They had one big vat of Semi-Gloss Black paint. No designer shades! I know they say gloss black but it alway had a dull sheen to me and semi-gloss matches better. Bob L
                      AMCA #3149
                      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
                      X