liberty edition paint / more questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• liberty edition paint / more questions

Help!!!! I am down to the last six hairs on my head (pulled the rest out) What was the liberty paint lacquer or enamel? What was the steps to apply paint sequin and clear coat?Are there any shops left that can do this?Does anyone know where I can find correct paint and materials? Is there a paint code for this color? I would be grateful for any info. So would my barber! thanks charlie:

My first restoration was a '76 XLCH, but was not a liberty edition. It was a standard model with red/white/blue stripe decals and a sticker logo. This tank had some kind of clear coat and was definitely cleared over the decals. Probably was a urethane enamel or an acrylic enamel.

If I remember right, the Liberty big twins had a fairly aggressive 'bass boat' like metal-flake?

Not sure what those special bikes used for paint, but even if you can find original materials today (paint technology has come a long way), you may not find a shop that is legally allowed to apply it. Many places ban some of these earlier formulas.

Your best bet is to get a very good match to an original patch of paint (if any are left) on your bike. Or have someone spray up some test panels until you get an exact match. Modern paint technologies are not only more durable, but you can replicate anything out there, including some of the very aggressive metal flakes. Find a good custom paint shop and they will be your best asset in this.

The original stuff, even if still out there, is probably just too much of a PITA to work with.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Also, I think I have a friend locally who has an original tank off one of these bikes. With the original flake finish. PM me and I'll get you guys in touch.

Neat bike, BTW. And a rare one. 1776 made!

Cheers, Sirhr

Comment

Thanks for all the information! It seems the only way to go will be with the modern paints and a local paint shop.
        Thanks again for the advice.

Comptime

Comment

PM sent with contact info. Fred will set you up with paint info. He has everything you need.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
          X