Fiberglass saddlebag edge chipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass saddlebag edge chipping

At the point of a restoration where I'm ready for paint. The saddlebag tops have some chipping on the edges just under the lip. I was wondering if anybody has a good recommendation for treating chipping on the edges of fiber glass bags. Does bondo hold up, or maybe epoxy? Any suggestions befor I have them painted?

Thanks
    Tim

I've used "Tiger Hair", and "Gorilla Hair" which is a hybrid sort of Bondo mixed with glass fibers. It's more tenacious than regular body filler and seems to hold very well.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I'm kinda of the learn by my own mistakes type but I allways use fiberglass resin and maybe a little matt added to border or edge chips. Bondo and red putty for scratches and pit chips. Never seen this new hybrid bondo but am interested to know how it holds up.
      Kerry
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Stabilize the fibers with cyanoacrylate (Krazy Glue or similar). You can use resin to fill further, but it can be a pain to use on edges because it is runny And you will probably have a challenge getting any mat in. Instead, some JB Weld (good) or PC7 (better) can be used to smooth the edge once the fibers are stabilized. Then prime as usual and paint.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Sirhr

Comment

Yes the resin and fibers are a challenge. I lay a strip of masking tape on the outer side to form the shape wanted. Then you just have to figure how to contain it on the other side.

Kerry
            Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Working...
            X