1945WL Paint/Trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1945WL Paint/Trim?

I've seem lots of photo's of what are claimed to be 1945WL restorations but no two photo's I've seen are the same. Just a few questions.

Is there a paint color code for that shade of gray for 1945?

Where the speedo cover and tank strip both painted grey or black?

Anyone know where I can find the correct appearing tank emblems and trim? They don't need to be original.
    -Steve
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

H-D did not have paint color codes.
    Dask cover was painted tank color.
    Tank badges came in Black, Cream, Blue, and Gray.
    Tank trim was Stainless Steel.
    Gas caps are painted black.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

That was quick and easy. Thanks Chris. I hope finding a set of badges/trim will be as easy as well. While I'm here, how where the badge backing plates mounted to the tank? Is welding involded?
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

The originals are spot welded to the outer skin. But they can even be soldered and work fine. Never have seen anyone glue them and have it really work! So some heat is involved. Is your tank lined?
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Spot welding them on won’t be a problem. The tanks aren’t lined and are going to be repainted so I’m free to take a couple shots at it.
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

Trying to discuss color shades is subjective to the viewer’s eye so I’m having a bit of a difficult time trying to decide what shade grey my paint needs to be for my 1945. I’ve seen plenty of photos but photos can also be deceiving do to lighting and camera angle.

I’m thinking the shade I need is very similar to the color of an electrical breaker box which we all have in our homes. Am I thinking right? If not should it be lighter or darker? Would any other common object in our homes be closer to the color I need?
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

I believe it was called Police Grey. I'm sure one of the Harley guys on here can get you a PPG number.

Comment

With some help, I found a Dupont number B94-54571 in Palmers book for police grey. Any chance the PPG number would be the same? Bear with me guys, I’m out of my element when it comes to this stuff.
                ------------
                Steve
                AMCA #7300

Comment

no chance at all. well maybe half a percent. a good auto body supply shop will have a conversion chart or color match book.look for a photo of the color you want. you can take that with you to the paint store or what for a big swap meet. you can ask someone with the color bike you like what they used. it seems hard to find now but when you find the color you'll say s**T that was easy.
                  rob ronky #10507
                  www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I don't think Grey and Police Grey are the same color. Perhaps you should contact John Pierce at Color-Write about the color.
                    VPH-D

Comment

I would go to Jonh Pierce. I have a very cooperative and friendly DuPont paint supplier but he is never able to cross reference old DuPont numbers.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks guy’s, I checked out John’s web site and he has the clearest example for 1945 I’ve yet to see and your right, now I don’t think the police grey is what I need after all. I’ll call John later today about the Navy/Dove grey he has listed.

How in the world did anyone find these things out before the invent of the internet? Like Rob said, s**T that was easy.
                        ------------
                        Steve
                        AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
                        X