Ryan's A.M.C.A. Giveaway bike build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for matt and friends

I could not find how to post a new question so I'm doing it this way. Please don't hammer me for this. I have an aluminum kick pedal. Never seen one before. Might be an accessory or a WWII Harley part made when rubber was hard to find and before the aluminum shortage. Take a look at the pictures and let me know if anyone has some info on this part. Best Regards, 1941wld
    Attached Files
    Conrad Ledig
    AMCA 3761

Comment

• hey Ryan, just wondering how the paint is coming along on the bike? Been out to the paint shop to work on it lately?

Comment

• Reply to 1941 wld: I ran across one and fitted it on my Chief. ain't as slippery as the one I was using. Been noticed by a few, makes me feel special!

anybody notice that when the kid left Carl and Matt's he loses the apron and the eyewear? So what's he trying to leave behind, Carl? or Matt? or the South Dakota winter cold?

Comment

• Well Guys,
          I just got some neat pictures from my friend Doug in Indiana, He is helping out with the plating on Ryan's bike. Ryan wanted everything nickel plated as opposed to chrome on his bike. Here is the batch of parts that we sent Doug.

Here is a pic of Doug stripping the chrome off of the bezel

Here is the power supply for the tank.

Here is the aircleaner cover getting ready to go into the ultrasonic cleaning tank.

NExt stop is the Metal activator tank,

Now it is ready to go into the dull nickel tank.

The settings have to be adjusted for each piece, here is what it was set at for the cover

Here it is coming out of the tank!

Here is the complete batch of parts that were plated. This is a lot more durable plating than cadmium plating, plus it looks neat!

Thanks for your help doug!
          A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

• I would like to know if the membership we be told the actual cost of this bike give away. I understand the generous donations by club members. But what about out of pocket expenses, new parts, lodging, transportation, shipping of parts, & what kind of valve will be put on the bike when finished & who pays the taxes on it?
            Dave

Comment

• HMMMMM---i wonder if the IRS is monitoring this

Comment

• That is the first I have seen that plating, that looks really good! Thanks Doug!

Originally posted by Phil Mast View Post
                anybody notice that when the kid left Carl and Matt's he loses the apron and the eyewear? So what's he trying to leave behind, Carl? or Matt? or the South Dakota winter cold?
                You South Dakota guys got the safety thing down pat...we will have to work on it in Ohio

I worked at Larry's again today. I worked on sanding the tanks all day and they are getting really close to getting some primer put on them.

After I got the bondo all sanded and smooth, we layed on some glaze to finish it off.

I got most of the glaze sanded but there is some that we left to dry for the night. The plan is to get back thursday and get the tanks in primer by the end of the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by BNSONS View Post
                  I would like to know if the membership we be told the actual cost of this bike give away. I understand the generous donations by club members. But what about out of pocket expenses, new parts, lodging, transportation, shipping of parts, & what kind of valve will be put on the bike when finished & who pays the taxes on it?
                  Dave
                  I understand that was an ongoing concern of the Hell's Angels too.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

I would like to know if the membership we be told the actual cost of this bike give away. I understand the generous donations by club members. But what about out of pocket expenses, new parts, lodging, transportation, shipping of parts, & what kind of valve will be put on the bike when finished & who pays the taxes on it?
                    Dave
                    I think Dave has some valid concerns that need to be answered before this continues. The members of the AMCA should know all the details

Comment

• Can the fed even think of taxing an assembly of donated parts and labor? all given in the spirit of keeping the antique motorcycle passion alive and well? I hope not. Hopefully this will be more than a prize, more like an investment in the future. I know that first box of triumph tiger cub parts my dad brought home forever changed my life...Mike

Comment

• I worked at Larry's yesterday and today. We got the tanks, fender, and battery box in primer!

Here is the gas tank sanded and ready to get sprayed.

First I sprayed a light coat of self etching primer. Here I am spraying it on the oil tank. Notice we take no shortcuts in the safety department!

If only I had those x-ray glasses a couple weeks ago...

Here are the fender and battery box hanging after I sprayed the etching primer.

Once that dried, I sprayed everything with the primer that will be sanded.

At the end of the day today Larry surprised me by giving me a couple of his old spray guns!! Thanks again Larry! I can't wait to find something to paint!

Comment

• chuckles

Ryan, thanks for the chuckle on the safety get-up!
                          It's okay to joke about it if you indeed regard it seriously, and even if it begins that way the frequent presence of mind will engage your conscience, and things will become second-nature. We've saved a lot of lives over the decades, and our safety practices are proof of our respect for the tragic lessons of our less-fortunate predecessors. Glad you're on board!

I won't forget when Matt Olson "gigged" me for running a flat tire at an Omaha chapter road run (Loess Hills?). A few decades ago I'd have told the kid to p on somebody else's fun, but I had to thank him for caring about his friends, and I aired up and rode safe. The moral is, we have to watch out for eachother, because ANYbody's casualty is owned by all of us.

Comment

Dave
                            Dave,
                            These are all valid questions. I will answer them as best as I can right now.

"The out of pocket expenses" for the contest are covered by a grant that was supplied by A.M.C.A. Foundation and they cover the expenses of the contest, Ryan's travel expenses and lodging.

The valve(s) for the bike were supplied by www.aaok.com, but I think that you were referring to the value of the bike. The bike is a gift, and it is my understanding that you do not have to pay taxes on it. The bike will be Ryan's as soon as it is done, and it will be up to him to pay licensing fees and taxes on it.

Since the contest is not finished, I cannot give you guys concrete numbers on what the total tab is, but when everything is said and done, those numbers will be made public through The Antique Motorcycle. Thanks for your input on this topic.
                            A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

• First I sprayed a light coat of self etching primer. Here I am spraying it on the oil tank. Notice we take no shortcuts in the safety department!

If only I had those x-ray glasses a couple weeks ago...

You guys are doing an amazing job on keeping the safety and work standards up!
                              A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

• Matt
                                Thanks for you're reply, now that's the way to run a business. Ask a question & get an answer.
                                Regards Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X