Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 FLH Barn Find

Hi Guys and Gals,
    New member here... this is a 1961 FLH I came across. It was beside a barn in a lean-to probably since the early 90s. Mother nature has definitely taken her toll on her. Exhaust is long gone (rust), wheels don't roll, but tires hold air (so far) and the seat pan is junk. I suspect at least a top end rebuild in my future, that'll be a learning experience!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Welcome Josh. Nice find there, rough~but appears to be all there. Good Luck with the salvage.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Hi Josh I believe in you.

Comment

Welcome Josh, nice bike good starting point. Now the FUN begins

Comment

Welcome Josh!

Photos can be deceiving, but considering its complete and the soft parts are intact,..

It is in enviable shape.

Please 'conserve' instead of 'restore'; They are more fun that way.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Welcome Josh, great find! Alot of fun work in front of you, you are very lucky to get a 63 yr old unmolested bike. Get Bruce Palmers latest (3rd) edition of How to Restore Your Harley Davidson. It will be invaluable in your resurrection. Try to keep and use the original parts where possible. Alot of sourcing questions can be answered here on the forum. Best of luck!
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Wow awesome find! Especially if you got cheap! If original paint definitely follow Cottons advice. Pic of its resting place is quite intriguing!
              Jason Zerbini
              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

This finally made it's way to the front of the project list. Attempted to remove just the saddlebags, but the lower set screws, 2/4 were seized, and I proceeded to snap them off. So I removed the saddle bags, frame amd luggage rack from the bike to access the drum brakes. Both brake drums were seized, kroil and gentle persuasion freed them up. So now it rolls! P.S. both tires still hold air!

Sucked the fuel tanks empty, they are pretty clean, but have slight surface rust. Soaked inside of tanks with kroil for the time being.

Throtte cable is free and moves the carb lever. Clutch cable is free too.

It appears the starter (kicker) and gear selector are seized, won't move and I'm not going full Tarzan on it.

Removed clutch inspection cover, pulled clutch lever, outer-most disc does NOT move. Primary chain appears lubed and VERY little surface rust.

That's all so far, I'm a dad to two little girls and they take priority. I only get about 1 hour a week for "me time." All the above took 3 weeks...

Any ideas how to proceed with the starter and gear selector both being seized?

Comment

I would start with taking the outer primary cover off and dissemble the clutch, probably needs cleaned anyway. Eliminate that from the equation, that way you can determine if it is an engine or trans issue. Then see if the transmission will turn over by rotating the mainshaft or use the now freed rear wheel to try and turn the trans and get it in a gear, (maybe do this before taking the primary apart). What does the trans look like when looking in the oil fill hole? Great to hear your girls take priority.
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

It sat for years outside 'semi' covered, and you found the tanks rusty inside. Drain the oil in the motor and trans. (Any oil that was in the tank probably sumped into the cases by now. You can get a vacuum sucker and suck it out of the timing plug hole.) What does the oil look like? Cloudy or milky means water got in. You want to rule out any rust in the trans, and the engine before you tried to turn it over. Otherwise you will cause a lot of extra damage.

Get yourself a bore-a-scope. They make them now that work with a phone. Look inside the trans filer hole as Bob suggests. Check for debris on the bottom, or rust on the gears. Look inside the spark plug hole for rust in the bores. Anywhere else you can. I would remove pushrods and lifter blocks to look in the cam case too. Good luck!
                    A. Bernhardt
                    AMCA# 9726

Comment

Had some time today. Removed primary cover. Removed clutch discs without a huge mess. Found 1 spring broken. Clutch discs were all corroded together, the outermost disc I was able to separate gently, detached itself from the fiber media. Main gearbox shaft rotates freely (didn't see Bernhardt's post to not rotate it before, oops). Gears appear good, no mjor rust, little teeny pits.

Gear selector still seized up solid.
                      Unable to drain engine oil right now, it has a little skid plate on it and those bolts are blocked by the motorcycle jack I'm using.

I appreciate all the help guys, keep it coming.

Time to go be a dad now...

Comment

Working...
                      X