49 Indian and 62 Norton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 Indian and 62 Norton

Ok, here we go.The 49 Indian. I bead blasted the frame and welded up 4 holes, put the bottom end of the engine together and a big thanks to Jim Preussner at Southwest Vintage Cycle for all his help, bead blasted all the engine cases and started work on the fuel tank. Tomorrow bore the cylinders, break down the heads check the valves and guides If they are good do a valve job and porting. Going to try to prime the frame tonight. Just great tried to load photos from my camera and they are to big so I will get to work on that. Ok pics up the tank was loaded lead work
    1. IMG_0726 (Large).JPGIMG_0713 (Large).JPGIMG_0729 (Large).JPGIMG_0723 (Large).JPGIMG_0724 (Large).JPG
    Last edited by jruff; 06-08-2023, 10:16 PM.

​Frame is in primer. Engine is standard bore but going to 9.5 to one pistons and only could get them 20 over and I miss placed the paperwork so I didn't bore the cylinders yet. The tank is roughed in now the tedious work starts. Going through all the boxes and see what's there or not.
    . The black tank I had bought for this bike, I swapped the tank from the 149 so I will be painting both tanks at some point. Also going to build Indian Laconia style oil tanks for both bikes. There is a pic below of a Laconia with the cigar box oil tank
    IMG_0739.JPGIMG_0738.JPG
    Screenshot (106).png
    Last edited by jruff; 06-13-2023, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Well it looks like this has turned into the 49 Indian and the 49 Indian show for now. Cylinder is bored and ready for hone and pistons after I fix a cracked fin. IMG_0749.JPG Then I pulled the valves on the 249, guides are shot. over size guides and fitting the valves were not worth the time. So a call to Jim at Southwest Vintage Cycle and all new guides, valves and springs are ordered. Sooooo since I'm doing the valves on one Indian I might as well do two. I'm going to pull the head and cylinder on the 149 and get whatever I need for that and no that was not the plan but it is now, might as well get them both running. And that is Colt hanging with the two Indians. And yes he is as big as a horse but he is named after Samuel ColtIMG_0760.JPGIMG_0758.JPG

Comment

Seeing a couple 249s and arrows at the vertical gathering in NC last fall, was eye opening. They are lovely bikes. Looking forward to following along on this thread. There was also one of Bob Starks flattrack arrows started for the group. Great bikes!

Comment

Nice work jruff! I'll be following along as well as its not too often the Verticals get attention. I have two of them. Jim at Southwest has been a Godsend for anyone owning these bikes.
          Jason Zerbini
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

[QUOTE= There was also one of Bob Starks flattrack arrows started for the group. Great bikes![/QUOTE]

Bob Starks fingerprints are all over the 149. 1. Bob Stark exhaust 2. Bored out using a TT piston to make it a 250 3. the intake manifold. I bought the 149 from Jim at Southwest

Comment

Well it's good news bad news time, My wife and I were separated and working out a settlement, no lawyers.So you can imagine how shocked I was when I got served. Well the good is, it's about done papers are being filled. The bad, I had offered her a six figure settlement she didn't like it, she walked away with four figures, SO after the New Year I can get back to working on my bikes.Cotten I picked up an aluminum MR3 let me know if you want some Pics and I'll post them.

Comment

Man that is hard especially around the holidays and if kids are involved.
                Sorry you're going through this.
                One positive is it looks like you kept the bikes.
                I had a cousin whose soon to be ex went after his cars and bikes but the lawyer was able to convince
                her lawyer: "That although these automobiles and motorcycles were of vintage years they were not in collectible condition" so their value was much less.

Still a bummer. Be well.

Comment

Thanks Paul, but I'm good. really good. I wanted out. 5 year marriage, I moved her out a year ago, moved my first wife (of 25 years and 4 adult kids) in six months ago (Just the wife) . Some people don't understand PRENUP! She tried to go after everything, got nothing. I gave her 5 grand so she could have a nice Xmas for her autistic nephew, two months health ins. and a car, now she just needs a job. Anyway things are back to normal, well as normal as can be for me LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X