No announcement yet.

1931 101 Scout Build Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice write-up and photos in your blog, Dan! Bike looks great!

Curious if you found that the one year only 1931 101 had some challenges in documenting the bike for assembly? New and different one year only things like the rear brake, oil pump, headlamp, horn, graphics, and more...was it difficult to find what was correct for '31?
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

“The cost would have been memorable (to most of us...).“? I don’t understand what you are getting at.

My memory was incorrect. Mine does not have the shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
        Nice write-up and photos in your blog, Dan! Bike looks great!

Curious if you found that the one year only 1931 101 had some challenges in documenting the bike for assembly? New and different one year only things like the rear brake, oil pump, headlamp, horn, graphics, and more...was it difficult to find what was correct for '31?
        There is a pretty big support network for the 101. The 101 association and it’s members were so very helpful. There was almost always someone to help point me in the right direction when I needed it.
        Fortunately I started with a pretty complete bike so that helped allot. The rear brake is well documented as was the horn and headlamp. Walker Machine was an amazing source for lots of bits and parts when originals could not be sourced.
        the oil “pump” in 31 was quite different than the previous years as it not only metered out oil as the motor spun but also increased flow with throttle advancement. I like most 31 owners have the throttle linkage disconnected so it’s working just like an older one. Lots of checking the crankcase oil level. Once dialed in it’s pretty reliable.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by djqsrv View Post
          “The cost would have been memorable (to most of us...).“? I don’t understand what you are getting at.

My memory was incorrect. Mine does not have the shoulder.
          What I was getting at, Daniel,...

'Blue-printing' a carb bore to where the disc fits "perfectly", or even close to zero daylight, would show up on an invoice significant enough that us common folk would remember it.

What color is your float?

Thanks again,
          ....Cotten

AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

What I was getting at, Daniel,...

'Blue-printing' a carb bore to where the disc fits "perfectly", or even close to zero daylight, would show up on an invoice significant enough that us common folk would remember it.

What color is your float?

Thanks again,
            ....Cotten

gotcha. Long day, brain not working.

Danny includes carb work with his motor rebuilds. I am not sure what that cost would have been alone but yes the throttle disk seals very well. I did not hold a flashlight behind it but it probably would be dark.
            and yes there is also a nice new shiny Venturi in there.

I purchased my linkert from Mike Millay. I got the carb in the mail and literally a week later I heard that he had past. His carb work seems top notch also. I know many of the guys in the 101 assoc run his rebuilt carbs. I know mine runs great.

the float in my DLX does not look like the one in your picture. It is cream color “composite”. I am guessing some kind of hard foam.

Comment

No itemized receipts, Daniel?

From a pro?

....Cotten
              PS: Modern fuels ('P4gas') will turn your urethane float into a dumpling. Sorry.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-04-2022, 10:19 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

enjoyed your blog, well done. Wonderful 101 ! sounds good too

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  No itemized receipts, Daniel?

From a pro?

....Cotten
                  PS: Modern fuels ('P4gas') will turn your urethane float into a dumpling. Sorry.
                  Yup, I knew this was going south. At least I understand what kind of a person you are now. You can take your condescending jabs elsewhere as they are not wanted here. We get, you know lots about carburetors. Want to know something? So do lots of other people in the antique motorcycle world and all of those other people offer up their knowledge and wisdom without being d-heads about it.

To anyone else reading this thread. I am absolutely over the moon with Danny's work on my 101 motor and carbs! I would not post what I paid for anything here as that was between Danny and I no matter what d-head Cotten seems to think. Danny and I agreed on pricing before he started work just like I am sure all of his customers before and after me did. I will say this though, I would have gladly paid more considering how well everything came out. I would highly recommend his work to anyone! He delivered on everything he promised and more! Not to mention he is a great guy and a blast to talk with.

New post should be up on my blog soon. A few more posts should bring me up to present.

Daniel
                  Last edited by djqsrv; 08-08-2022, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Yup, I knew this was going south. At least I understand what kind of a person you are now. You can take your condescending jabs elsewhere as they are not wanted here. We get, you know lots about carburetors. Want to know something? So do lots of other people in the antique motorcycle world and all of those other people offer up their knowledge and wisdom without being d-heads about it.

To anyone else reading this thread. I am absolutely over the moon with Danny's work on my 101 motor and carbs! I would not post what I paid for anything here as that was between Danny and I no matter what d-head Cotten seems to think. Danny and I agreed on pricing before he started work just like I am sure all of his customers before and after me did. I will say this though, I would have gladly paid more considering how well everything came out. I would highly recommend his work to anyone! He delivered on everything he promised and more! Not to mention he is a great guy and a blast to talk with.

New post should be up on my blog soon. A few more posts should bring me up to present.

Daniel
                    I posted so little, yet you attack me personally, Daniel,...

Commonly there's a sales/service ticket for your money, and at least some clues. Its the professional thing to do.

(Although I don't know Danny, I assumed he was a pro.)

If you didn't keep your paperwork, it wasn't his fault.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Daniel you've just put into words what quite a few of us have thought or stated at one time or another over the years.
                      DrSprocket

Comment

Nope, I don't care enough about you to attack you. I am just pointing out what is pretty obvious to lots of people on here. "I posted so little". Don't hide behind the number of words you wrote. You managed to be a condescending prick pretty efficiently. Almost like you have had lots of practice. I have other members of the forum messaging me privately apologizing for you. Just take that in for a min. Strangers on the forum are apologizing for your misbehavior. What I paid or what paperwork I have or don't have is none of your business. It is irrelevant to the topic and only brought up by you so you can take a jab at Danny and his professionalism. My work has me dealing with a veriaty of people and understanding their personality is essential so I have become very astute to the kind of person I am dealing with. Must be pretty damn good at it also as you pointed out so condescendingly earlier. "The cost would have been memorable (to most of us...)". Nope...The costs were not even remotely memorable to me. So, I am pretty sure I have you pegged. Go rain on someone else's parade. It sure looks like its what you like to do with all of that amazing knowledge you have. Better yet why don't you take a look at the threads where you pissed people off. Maybe they will help you take a good hard look at yourself and how you approach people on here. No, you probably won't. Growing as a person is probably pretty foreign to you. Anyway, Please stay off of this thread. You are not wanted here. Go piss in someone else's cheerios.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                          Daniel you've just put into words what quite a few of us have thought or stated at one time or another over the years.
                          Hi Rich,

I know, I looked back at some of his other threads to make sure I was not misreading things. I understand he knows his stuff but come on. There is such a thing as being a decent human being.

Anyway, I hope people are enjoying the blog. It was such an amazing experience restoring this bike. My grandfather passed in 1990 and my dad in 2017. This process made me feel very close to them again.

Daniel

Comment

I put your blog in my favorites so I can check it from time to time. Enjoy your fine machine and all it's history. I know what you mean as I have a shift knob on my EL that has a photo of me and my sister when we were quite young and my Dad is there behind us. When he passed I inherited his 1974 R90 BWM he bought new. Rich
                            DrSprocket

Comment

Nope, I don't care enough about you to attack you.
                              But you called me a d-head anyway, Daniel.
                              I am just pointing out what is pretty obvious to lots of people on here. "I posted so little". Don't hide behind the number of words you wrote. You managed to be a condescending prick pretty efficiently. Almost like you have had lots of practice. I have other members of the forum messaging me privately apologizing for you. Just take that in for a min. Strangers on the forum are apologizing for your misbehavior. What I paid or what paperwork I have or don't have is none of your business. It is irrelevant to the topic and only brought up by you so you can take a jab at Danny and his professionalism.
                              I took no jab at Danny at all. You discarded his paperwork that would defend him.
                              My work has me dealing with a veriaty of people and understanding their personality is essential so I have become very astute to the kind of person I am dealing with. Must be pretty damn good at it also as you pointed out so condescendingly earlier. "The cost would have been memorable (to most of us...)". Nope...The costs were not even remotely memorable to me. So, I am pretty sure I have you pegged. Go rain on someone else's parade. It sure looks like its what you like to do with all of that amazing knowledge you have. Better yet why don't you take a look at the threads where you pissed people off. Maybe they will help you take a good hard look at yourself and how you approach people on here. No, you probably won't. Growing as a person is probably pretty foreign to you. Anyway, Please stay off of this thread. You are not wanted here. Go piss in someone else's cheerios. Daniel
                              I merely tried to warn you about your float. I apologize if that triggered you,...

....Cotten
                              PS: Rich O!
                              Originally posted by RichO View Post
                              Want to come down from your ivory tower and explain how I personally triggered you?

I participate to help, Folks. The proof of my worth is how many copy me, and those that whine when they didn't know.

...Cotten
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-08-2022, 03:54 PM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Fantastic documentation Daniel. Gorgeous 101 restoration also! Thank You.

*M.A.D.* <-----<<<< The green is for envy. Love that perfect shift click on your street test ride video.
                                Last edited by JoJo357; 08-11-2022, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X